Story file
at Ryan's website.
Background info
including pictures of feelies
Registration Key Guide
A guide by "BLP" for reverse-engineering the game's registration code.
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.
Map
Includes some spoilers, but not enough to ruin the game
Walkthrough and maps
by David Welbourn

Crocodracula: The Beginning

by Ryan Veeder profile

Part of Crocodracula
2020

The first Taleframe game based on the 90s children's horror soap opera.

First Publication Date: July 28, 2020
IFID: 4422C3F0-3DD5-43B5-A368-5B7740CE96B9
TUID: zs1h6f3xv54azdn

News

Expand all | Add a news item

An immersive text experience with a satisfying conclusion, October 29, 2020
This game is an ancient relic discovered and remade by Ryan Veeder, who has found all the documentation relating to it. By pure luck, the style of the gameplay has the whimsical charm and quality implementation characteristic of Ryan's own writing style (probably why he was attracted to it in the first place).

This game has a fairly hefty map, with a city of about 12 locations, many with an interior, and another chunk from extra side rooms and a couple of (not at all bad) maze-like locations. (maybe maze-lite locations).

The game has a built-in hint system where you ask your friends for help (which I accessed many times), and Dan Fabulich has made comprehensive invisiclues.

The story is basically what you would get if you had the Hobbit, but instead of the background of the Silmarillion you had a custom story that was a mashup of Captain Planet, Gargoyles and TMNT, and instead of Bilbo wandering around the very edges of the backstory you had a girl wandering around doing random stuff.

And the main theme of the game is (Spoiler - click to show)trading. If you every played the original game boy Zelda game, there was a long, involved trading quest involving everyone. That's basically what's going on here. You wander around town, slowly realizing what everyone wants or needs. Then all at once you find the starting point and it falls like dominoes. Until you get stuck.

The 17 digit key wasn't as hard as I expected it to be, but was computationally satisfying, especially the dichotomy chart, which reminded me of the tree dichotomy chart in the kids' encylopedia I had growing up, where if you identify the tree wrong, you get devoured by monsters on the next page.

I enjoyed the game, and also when I saw the Help text, I felt overcome and rested my head on the table in gratitude. I had fun with this game.

Great game for Halloween, October 10, 2020
by KatherineTheCurst (Kansas, USA)
This is a pretty easy light game, but the puzzles still feel pretty satisfying. The game has a lot of the same elements as Crocodracula: What Happened to Calvin, but when I played Calvin it felt like the game had some elements that were missing. But if Calvin was missing something, this game has it. The whole thing feels more thought out and the puzzles fit together neatly. It also has quite a few elements that weren't in Calvin.
The most enjoyable part of the game was just wandering around Becca's Sunnydale-esque little town and finding all the weird supernatural quirks hidden in it. I think my favorites were the house on Ash St. and the Radio station. J.M. was also really cool, and I would love to see more of him.

If you enjoyed Crocodracula: The Beginning...