oppositely-opal.gblorb
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough (and one-room map) by David Welbourn.

Oppositely Opal

by Buster Hudson profile

You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda!

A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

First Publication Date: February 16, 2015
IFID: EC08A4FB-02F1-471B-AB59-117A5CB70AD3
TUID: z3scyumvgsr75blm

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2015 XYZZY Awards

Entrant overall; 2nd Place, Overall; 2nd Place, Best Writing; 2nd Place, Best Story; 1st Place, Best Puzzles; 1st Place, Best Technical - ParserComp 2015

A fun game with a cute sense of humour, September 2, 2017
This is a fun, relatively short game with a great sense of humour and a lovely writing style. The puzzles aren't too tricky (although I occasionally felt that I'd come up with a valid solution that simply didn't work), and the in-game hint system is great at nudging you in the right direction without spoiling too much. The game embraces its light-hearted quirkiness, resulting in puzzles that are a joy to solve. The story is slightly more poignant than I'd expected, which was a nice surprise.

A valley-girl one-room witch puzzle with interesting puzzle system, February 3, 2016
In this game, you play a witch who has been confined to a single room during a potion competition. You must brew a potion to win, however, you suffer a major disadvantage, because there is something wrong with your magic.

I was hesitant about this game at first, because I found the language annoying (imagine the writing by Anna from Frozen: "I am SO going to catch her!"). Also, the first few puzzles were almost trivial.

However, I realized as time went on that the writing produced a consistent and interesting worldview (as the backstory unfolded), and that the first puzzles were just an easy tutorial. The game got progressively more difficult, until I needed 3 hints to get through puzzles.

The hints are very mild, provided entirely by your cat's actions.

There's a few red herrings in this game, and a bit of 'guess the author's brain', but by the time I finished, I realized that I genuinely enjoyed this game.

Cute, funny, approachable!, July 24, 2020
Enjoyed the one-room format and lighthearted, quirky characters! The puzzles and magic were creative and just the right amount of difficulty.

If you enjoyed Oppositely Opal...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Oppositely Opal, or gave both high ratings:

To Hell in a Hamper, by J. J. Guest
Professor Pettibone, eminent Victorian balloonist, has a problem. He can't get it up. His balloon that is. If he can't reach an altitude of 20,000 feet, and soon, both he and his mysterious travelling companion Hubert Booby will be...

No Time To Squeal, by Mike Sousa and Robb Sherwin
"He thought he saw a pantomime That queried his own deal: He looked again, and found it was A ticket to a meal. He thought he saw infanticide Per chance to make it real. 'I have but one regret,' he said: 'There is no time to squeal!'"...

Delusions, by C. E. Forman
"A trip into virtual reality: all begins with debugging a VR system, but then things get out of hand. Who is Morrodox, what has he to do with your colleagues, and what is going on?" [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Oppositely Opal appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

2020 Alternative Top 100 by Denk
(Created 24-Jul-2020) Philosophy: 1. If a game only has 5-star ratings, it is because the game hasn't received enough ratings. 2. Games with few ratings can still be among the best. 3. Sometimes the average score is the best metric. The...

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

The following polls include votes for Oppositely Opal:

Fun single-room games by Jeff Sonas
My kids (9 and 12) like to play IF games on my phone during car drives so they are looking for something quick and fun that doesn't require much mapping. What single-room adventures are out there?

games with magic by Xw
any game will do

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible games of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by cas on 25 November 2019 at 8:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item