Play on itch.io
Contains index.html

Truck Quest

by Donald Conrad and Peter M.J. Gross profile

Contemporary Adventure

You only need one low-budget truck (and one high-interest loan) to start your own delivery service. It’ll be an adventure, hauling military-grade narcotics to the megachurches of Bean Station and driving flammable poultry to the casinos of Inverness. Will your choices get vital shipments to the places that need them?

Honestly, the stakes are pretty low. It’s not like your decisions are going to shape the fate of a nation… right?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 76E5E359-556F-4FF0-9866-D7D1872B65B9
TUID: xfgh0zrhxwq6myir

23rd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

IFComprehensive

"I’m just old enough to have fond memories of the 'Oregon Trail' computer game. 'Truck Quest' is a choice-based game that has a broadly similar feel to it but very different gameplay."

These Heterogenous Tasks

"Honestly, ‘pretty decent job’ kind of sums up my feelings about this, which probably puts it into the 6-7 range. It is capable, purposeful work and I found quite a bit to appreciate, but not a lot to really get enthused about."

Truck-based government, October 3, 2019
Okay, this is a great game in many ways. Pixel art is on point, characters are compelling, the atmosphere at Dan's shady truck dealership is just perfect, and the storyline comes to a great point.

But I found the day by day gameplay a little less compelling. My choice of which job to pick up didn't seem to matter too much, and neither did my driving strategy. It's possible they mattered, but I didn't see it in in-game, unlike my choice of 'side hustle', which strongly affected the game.

So, I liked it, but found parts a bit tedious. This is a trucking simulator where you make money doing increasingly shady jobs, while individuals begin approaching you for help. Your choices of who to help affect the politics not only locally but eventually globally.

If you enjoyed Truck Quest...