The Milgram Parable

by Peter Eastman

Your job is simple: do whatever you are told, without question or hesitation. If you don't, people will die. Probably including you.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 25807BF1-D1AB-456E-87B4-9A208FB99EE8
TUID: wnt74l7z3i9vctsy

59th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

An exploration of the Milgram experiments as a Twine game, October 1, 2019
This game has two parts: a simple introduction and more complicated sci-fi portion.

Both parts are related to the infamous Stanley Milgram experiments, where participants were asked to administer what they thought were increasingly strong electrical shocks to strangers.

This game is moralizing strongly, which isn't bad in and of itself. It offers some nuance: what if we misunderstand the situation? What if we don't really have free will?

But it's slight, overall, and not strong enough, in my mind, to bear up the heavy moral implications it communicates. I think this would be more appropriate as a longer story where we could identify more with the characters.

I would definitely play another game by this author!

If you enjoyed The Milgram Parable...