Among the Seasons

by Kieran Green

Slice of life

A fleeting glimpse of the seasons from a magpie's perspective.

First Publication Date: April 4, 2019
TUID: wgyodty4b8x4n5i6

Best in Show; Audience Choice--Best Design, Best Writing, Best Twine Game, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2019

A shortish Twine game about a bird's life throughout the season's, April 9, 2019
This game has an interesting structure: part stat-based, part poetry, and part dynamic fiction.

You play as a bird who has suffered a violent attack, and must make several choices over the next year or so.

The writing is lovely and descriptive of the various seasons.

You make about one choice per season, with one text-entry choice and all others binary. The binary choices have various effects later on.

After your choice, each page is just a sentence or two that you click through to get to the next season. This is the poetic/dynamic part I referred to earlier.

The game was overall enjoyable, but the format just seemed spread thin. Being stat-based but only making 1 or 2 stat choices seemed odd, and more of a 'win by remembering what you did' sort of thing.

I'd like to see more games by this author, and will keep an eye out.

Not enough choice, so not really a game, July 7, 2019
by simuloid (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Nice descriptive prose, with just enough player input to keep me clicking through the text. There's one choice at the beginning that probably decides how successful some decisions are later on.

Over all, I found it like reading an over-long poem. It didn't scratch either my game playing nor my story reading itch.

Still, the author did a good job with the text and evoking emotions. It's just not my bag, baby.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Sobol on 9 April 2019 at 2:24pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item