Play online at itch.io

Aquarium

by Hannah Powell-Smith profile

Episode 1 of Cute Guys (And The Lies You Tell Them)
Romance

You're seventeen. It's dark in here.

Aquarium is a story game about skipping school with a cute boy. There are multiple endings.

You can play in your browser on most devices - Internet Explorer will not work, though, you have been warned.

First Publication Date: April 7, 2014
TUID: tm4gyzvk4kjcfi

A mid-length, complicated Twine game about a date and secrets, February 3, 2016
I came to this game after playing the sequel, and I loved learning more about the protagonist. This series is about a young girl who has deep secrets, and the men she is involved with.

The links in this game are cleverly colored, with one color for cycling text, another for branches, etc. This makes the game much more enjoyable than standard Twine.

The story is about a date with a boy after ditching school. Both of you have secrets. The game is pretty complicated, with many options to branch out on.

The one thing I didn't like as much was the styling. It looks like an aquarium, which really fits the story, but I found it mildly irritating. I loved the CSS of Thanksgiving, the sequel. However, this is a minor complaint.

Romance simulator--with a twist, April 2, 2017
This fun little Twine piece takes a classic convention of IF--the amnesiac protagonist--and puts a new spin on it, featuring a character with an extensive but mysterious and shadowy past. The protagonist has big secrets to hide, but she's also a normal person on a date, and she's trying to balance the tension of her hidden identity with her genuine interest in her classmate.

This piece wasn't as tense as the follow-up, Thanksgiving, because it isn't as linear; instead, it presents a limited open-world concept (within the confines of the Aquarium), which held through some fairly complex state tracking regardless of how I tried to subvert or break it.

The technical complexity is matched by the writing, which manages to be fresh and creative despite the modular framework; very impressive.

I loved the tenseness of Thanksgiving, but both works are strong and stand on their own as fun and replayable pieces. This piece feels more open and replayable--I have the sense that even more is going on here than I found in a few run-throughs--which is both frustrating and compelling. On balance, it's a rewarding, challenging, and intriguing work.

If you enjoyed Aquarium...

People who like Aquarium also gave high ratings to these games:

Violet, by Jeremy Freese
Calm down. All you have to do is write a thousand words and everything will be fine. And you have all day, except it's already noon. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Come to Bag, by PaperBlurt
"...and humans shall cometh to thy bag and feast upon its bounties" (a twine cacophony filled with goodness for all)

Save the Date, by Chris Cornell
"Itís a perfectly normal evening, and you have a quiet dinner planned with one of your friends. And so begins one of my weirder games. Save the Date is a game about a lot of things. Friendship. Stories. Hope. Destiny. And above all else,...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Hannah Powell-Smith on 18 April 2016 at 11:30am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item