Because you're mine.gblorb
Zipped game file
Zipped file containing all Petite Mort entries to ECTOCOMP 2016

Because You're Mine

by Owlor profile

Find the various components necessary to perform a dark ritual in a swamp populated by Horses. A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2016
TUID: ryy7jon81wqgmm29

7th Place, La Petite Mort - EctoComp 2016

Sleek dark magic Speed IF, hampered by one poorly clued puzzle, October 29, 2017
(Disclosure: I participated in Ectocomp 2016.)

Because You're Mine is a dark little puzzler where the PC is a sapient horse searching for the ingredients for a spell to get revenge on an unfaithful lover.

The title sets the darkly romantic ambience right from the start, and the game is atmospheric and grim, while still having enough touches of black comedy to make you at least half-sympathise with the protagonist. There are some fine puzzles (I liked figuring out how to enter the swamp and get the wing), and the writing is good, given the time restrictions, though it could of course be more polished. The description of the swamp is particularly atmospheric. While the setting is pretty obviously based on My Little Pony, there is enough original worldbuilding (Brieflings, the magic) to make it a bit more than just a copy. The NPCs are obviously limited, but still get a lot of quite sympathetic characterisation in a few lines. All in all, the game is well implemented for a Petite Morte entry, including an encyclopaedia that you can consult about various topics.

So far I was enjoying both writing and puzzles. However, I got stuck on obtaining the mandrake root. I had an idea of where to find it, but the implementation was so sketchy that I nearly quit the game, before stumbling on the right phrasing.

(Spoiler - click to show)You have to type LOOK UNDER CORPSE. Commands such as LOOK UNDER TREE, SEARCH GROUND etc. will give you a stock negative response

So that brings down the score a bit for me (and if you're not familiar with real-world folklore about mandrakes, the in-game information will not be particularly helpful about where to look). However, in all other aspects the game is well-implemented, with fresh puzzles and fun worldbuilding. Recommended if you're in the mood for a dark, sardonic fantasy game with an unpleasant protagonist.

A short horror based on My Little Pony, July 1, 2017
This was an Ectocomp 2016 speed game. This is set in a MLP-type world, similar to Owlor's other games.

You are a hardened and vicious magic-using pony out for revenge. You need to go an a quest to find the ingredients for your potion.

This was relatively straightforward, and fun, with good cluing, until I got stuck on one ingredient for a long time due to misunderstanding a description.

It is unpolished and didn't draw me in, but that is due to it being a speed-IF.

Because You're Mine on IFDB

Because You're Mine appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games by thecanvasrose

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Owlor on 31 October 2016 at 7:40pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item