Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Lux

by Agnieszka Trzaska profile

You wander around in darkness even though the lights are on.

Sandra is the only one to survive a mysterious attack on a deep space mining station. She is alive, but has lost her vision. Now Sandra must navigate the dangerous, damaged facility and overcome many obstacles, using her wits and the help of Odys, the artificial intelligence.

In Lux, the adventure game, you will explore the expansive space facility, solve puzzles and discover the truth behind the disaster.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
IFID: 4713641F-7E28-45DF-8E06-96E16E2AC58D
TUID: rg7sieqyg1b9rxpt

10th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Solid choice-based puzzlefest, November 23, 2018
Lux is the game that proved to me you can make a solid puzzlefest using a choice-based interface. I imagine there are other strong choice-based and puzzle-focused games out there, but Lux is the first one I have played.

In Lux you are Sandra, the only survivor of an explosion on a research station in space. The explosion has left you blind, and you must navigate through the station with help from the station's AI to reach the command centre and send a distress signal.

In terms of gameplay, you can have one item active in your inventory at any time, and if you have the correct item active for a particular puzzle you'll see additional choice options that will enable you to solve the puzzle. (Detectiveland uses a similar mechanism.) By midgame there are enough inventory items, and the number of choice subtrees is often large enough, that simply selecting every item isn't going to help much in solving a particular puzzle. So you still need to figure out the puzzles - or at least narrow down the possibilities to just a few items.

It's a large game, too. There are five distinct areas of the station, multiple puzzles in each area, and several red herrings. The author's estimate of "longer than two hours" was accurate for my playthrough.

The puzzles are challenging but always logical. Having five distinct sections and having the AI telling you what the goals are in each section are good design choices - they help prevent the player from being overwhelmed in such a large game. The game has achievements as well. I didn't earn all of them, and so I'm guessing some of the objects that I didn't find a use for are actually related to achievements.

Finally, Lux contains my favorite single moment out of all the games in IFComp this year. I won't give it away, but those who have played the game may be able to see what I'm referring to.

I tend to like puzzlers, and I enjoyed Lux.

If you enjoyed Lux...

People who like Lux also gave high ratings to these games:

Rogue of the Multiverse, by C.E.J. Pacian
Congratulations, convict 76954! You have been selected for scientific experimentation! You will be matter-transmitted to exotic non-Treaty worlds - where opportunities abound to take in fantastic sights and mingle with colourful locals!

Dinner Bell, by Jenni Polodna
You are the involuntary and very hungry test subject of a semi-anthropomorphized dog in a labcoat who wants you to find all sixteen food items mentioned in They Might Be Giants' song Dinner Bell, which have been hidden in a near-perfect...

Lists and Lists, by Andrew Plotkin
A tutorial in which a genie teaches you the basics of a simplified version of LISP. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Lux appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great Twine/Choice games for those skeptical of the format by MathBrush
I didn't like Twine at first, but slowly I've changed my opinion about it, until now, many of my favorite games are Twine/Choice games (including Varytale or choice-style parser games). These games tend to be very different genres from...

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

The following polls include votes for Lux:

Choice-based puzzlefests by Spike
I enjoy games with lots of good puzzles, but so far nearly all the ones I've played have a parser-based interface. This poll is to help me find good choice-based puzzlefests.

Unreliable narrators by verityvirtue
I'm interested in games which hinge on the 'unreliable narrator', from amnesia to a plain distorted worldview. The more this distortion affects the storyline, the better.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 17 November 2018 at 5:23pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item