Dull Grey

by Provodnik Games

Coming-of-age/Science Fiction/Everyday life

An interactive drama in the traditions of Soviet fiction about choosing a profession.

Mother and her teenage son live on the edge of the world amid hot springs, steam, mountains, five-story houses and rusty freight robots. Their present is routine. Their future is under the strict control of Progress-program. Which also means routine.

Making their choice they seem to be on the horns of a dilemma. But it may also be a rare chance to escape the dull grey surrounding them.

If they could only find a way to use it.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: qcso5wmplsnxlp2v

12th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A beautifully illustrated and orchestrated game with only one choice-or is it?, October 3, 2019
I think I would give this 4.5 stars, but I am rounding up.

Provodnik Games made their debut last year with Railways of Love, a sci-fi game set in a future Russia where you were locked into one path which later opened.

This game is somewhat similar. It is set in the same future (both feature 'spikeheads', robot transmitters). Both games are illustrated, the former in 8-bit pixel art, and this one in gorgeous, smoothly animated black and white art.

The writing is good, with some English hiccups here and there. A son in a lonely outpost needs to enter the real world by choosing a job. There are two job choices, and the choice gets made over and over.

Near the end, you finally break free, but it's tricky to find. The final screen, interestingly enough, shows a breakdown of what final choices people made. Only 15% of people made my choice, which was a partially hidden ending, but apparently there's an even better ending that 1% of people found.

I'm not afraid of choice-deficient games (I loved last year's very linear Polish the Glass), but I feel a bit odd giving this 5 stars when it's more of a computerized book. However, the constrained interactivity does serve a purpose, and reflects the constrained options of the protagonist. On the other hand, this kind of constraint-as-story as been done many times before. On the other hand, just because something isn't new doesn't mean it's bad. So I go back and forth between 4 stars and 5, which is why I've given it a score of 4.5. I'd love to see more from Provodnik!

If you enjoyed Dull Grey...

People who like Dull Grey also gave high ratings to these games:

Impostor Syndrome, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
You're giving a talk at a big important tech conference. But do you really deserve to be here, or were you selected just to fill a diversity quota? Originally published under the name "Georgiana Bourbonnais".

Onaar, by Robert DeFord
Go to Onaar and become an Alchemist. Learn to make potions that allow you to survive and thrive in a dynamic, open-ended game world. Will you elevate your skills and vanquish the rogue wizard who threatens that world, or will you die...

Snack Time!, by Hardy the Bulldog and Renee Choba
Can you help one hungry bulldog in his quest to find something good to eat? He would like that. A lot. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 3 October 2019 at 3:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item