introcomp04.zip

Intro to Jabberwocky

by Gregory Weir profile

Literary
2004

In this game, based on the Lewis Carroll poem "Jabberwocky", you play as a farmer's child, sent out before brillig to deal with the family's animals. You also find a tablet with a pattern of lines and letters; as you complete your chores, the blank lines of the tablet are replaced with words, forming the first stanza of the poem.

IFID: ZCODE-1-040714-B6C0
TUID: nkz7z040sdfa5agn

Whimsical Break From Routine, July 17, 2010
Intro to Jabberwocky is based on Lewis Carroll's poem "Jaberwocky". So, if you never much liked Carroll's universe or his writing, you might not like this game. I, however, rather enjoyed Carroll's books, so I warmed up to ITJ right away. The PC must complete some tasks around his "farm", which is populated by creatures from Carrol's poem. The animals are described with fascinating detail and the location descriptions are concise and well-written.

ITJ has a very original approach to setting up puzzles. It's not even that the puzzles themselves are very original, it's just that they are presented in a very unique way. In order to figure out your objectives, you must read the first stanza of the Jabberwocky (only the first stanza, because ITJ is only an intro) and pretty much do what the poem tells you to do. Have no fear - the full poem is provided in-game. Just type hints and choose the 'read the poem' option. As you manipulate the PC's world to fulfill the poem's conditions, the poem will be filled in a blank tablet which you will find in the very first scene.

That particular technique really grabbed my attention. Unfortunately, the game is only an intro. The puzzles are pretty clear-cut, but the environment is cute and whimsical, carrying the essence of Lewis Carroll's world. A rather mundane "finish-a-list-of-tasks" premise is taken for a pleasant spin with very nice results.

If you enjoyed Intro to Jabberwocky...

People who like Intro to Jabberwocky also gave high ratings to these games:

Death Attends The Matinee, by ClickHole
The dame walks into your office without knocking, and boy, does she look uneasy. She stares at you with piercing gray eyes and asks, “Are you Sam Stonemarrow, the private detective?”

Winter Storm Draco, by Ryan Veeder
A chronicle of the events of the winter storm of the same name.

The Roscovian Palladium, by Ryan Veeder
Humans are constantly appropriating rat culture. King Roscoe thought to use this to his advantage.

Intro to Jabberwocky appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for May 2019 by David Welbourn
On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

Fun and funny by Shadow Fox
These are games that captured my attention and made me laugh. All of them are lighthearted, most of them are funny, and one is just plain cute.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 30 May 2019 at 11:20am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item