For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.

The Feather Grange Job

by David Fletcher profile

Crime Caper
2012

An ornithological heist story.

First Publication Date: June 11, 2012
IFID: 5326F3D0-E8D0-4E66-96D7-3F2D4687645D
TUID: n9o8at1urra9f14s

Entrant - Cover Stories

Lightweight fluff, some polish issues, June 18, 2012
by Emily Short
Related reviews: cover stories
Feather Grange Job tells the story of a jewel heist pulled off by a team of birds: it consists of a series of vignettes in which each of the gang uses its particular bird skill, with each scene containing one fairly simple puzzle. It's cute and amusing; and as I tend to enjoy heist capers, I was largely on its side.

I would have been more so, except that there were a number of polish issues that made play slower and rougher than I would have liked. (Spoiler - click to show)Especially problematic was the scene of getting Verbal to open the safe. I tried a whole bunch of different instructions -- (Spoiler - click to show)ask verbal about safe, tell verbal about safe, ask/tell verbal about password, ask/tell verbal about monkey, "verbal, say password", "verbal, say monkey", and so on, before I finally got to the correct method (Spoiler - click to show)which was "verbal, open safe". Futzing around here made the scene take about three times as long as it should have and dissipated a lot of the tension. Several of the other scenes also took me longer to figure out than was strictly fun, just because there wasn't a lot to draw my attention to the right thing to do.

Even given the occasional guess-the-verb issues, however, this took around 10 minutes to play.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Sam Kabo Ashwell on 15 June 2012 at 3:44pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item