Story file
Game maps
Link to a directory, on the ifarchive, containing 3 maps.

Flattened London

by Carter Gwertzman

Adventure
2020

Unravel the secrets of the third dimension and search for treasure in a wholly bizarre setting a crossover between the worlds of Fallen London and Flatland. Keep your wits about you in this sprawling parser-based game, and remember: There's no such thing as down.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: EE691FFB-4923-422E-8598-FF45808A5A90
TUID: mfqhj02butg1y0wf

Entrant - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Maybe come back to this game later, the IFComp 2020 version seems buggy, October 28, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: 2-3 hours
So I think this game had a couple things going against it for me. Primarily, I think the game is still very much not polished. Playing through it there were objects that I feel should have been implemented that weren't, as well as a lot of objects with very similar names so I had trouble getting the game to do what I wanted it to do (like reading this piece of paper instead of that one). Even the walkthrough provided with the IFComp 2020 version I think had an error in it: (Spoiler - click to show)You are supposed to attach a sharp rock (flint) to a device you get to turn it into a lighter, but I never found sharp rock and I can't see the walkthrough telling me where it is either. If any other players out there found it or if I missed it in the walkthrough let me know so I can correct this.

Also, and this might be a bigger deal than I realize, while I've played Fallen London a little I never really got into it the way others did, so it is possible parts of this game are lost on me.

I think this game has a lot of potential, having it play out in two dimensions is a neat idea and that could lead to some clever mechanics, and the atmosphere is interesting. It just needs a little more work.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 9 October 2020 at 10:46pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item