Everybody Dies

- SchnickelFritz (TX), December 26, 2018

- Möwe, November 28, 2018

The Perfect Marriage Between «Interaction» And «Fiction», April 2, 2018
by Tristano (Italy)
Gameplay lasted about an hour, and I'v enjoyed every minute of it. I had already played Everybody Dies when it first came out, around 10 years ago, and for all these years it has haunted me as one of those memorable works of IF which I regreted myself for not having reviewed it.

I consider this game a masterpiece — I though it was one when I first played it, and I confirm it today. It's hard to review it without giving away anything that would spoil the pleasure of discovering by yourself what makes Everybody Dies stand out in respect to many other works of IF; but I'll try nonetheless.

First of all, it's very well written. The author manages to sketch a slice of life in a very vivid manner, bringing quickly to life characters and their surroundings, and he does so without excessive verbosity — dialogues and details are so skilfully brushed on the story canvas that the player has no choice but to sink into the narration with pleauserful abbandonment.

In this work, both the interactive and the fiction aspects of IF are highly honoured. Puzzles, characters and plot are so tightly knit together that in no single moment you're going to loose sight of the overall story. The story pace is amazing, and there are plenty of twists and turns that keep it relentlessly alive, till the very end.

As a bonus, add to that the pleasant illustrations which mark the various milestones of the adventure, adding atmosphere to an already rich environment.

The story also brushes with some contemporary social issues, leveraging the medium to subtly reflect them upon the player and the story from different angles. After completing the game, I couldn't escape a feeling that there was a wholistic flavour to the experience, where everything was connected to everything else in multiple ways ...

Can't say more without spoiling the story! Just dive into it.

- Guenni (At home), February 16, 2018

- Kyriakos Sgarbas (Hellas (Greece)), May 25, 2017

- Ivanr, February 2, 2017

- Sobol (Russia), September 17, 2016

A short, illustrated grungy story about intertwined fates, August 6, 2016
This game won 3rd place in the IFComp the year it was entered, and is one of the shortest games to ever make the top 3. It has quite a few illustrations in it in a comics style.

As a content warning, this game has 3 parts, and the first part is full of large amounts of strong profanity and a general sort of vague nastiness. It made me put of this game for a long time, and I don't intend to play again.

Besides that, the game is very well written, with strong characterization and clever interaction. You play as 3 distinct PCs whose fates revolve around a small store called Cost Cutters. Each character gets 1 or 2 short scenarios where you are given strong guidance, until the final scenario where you have a tight time schedule (with infinite chances to retry) and a more difficult puzzle.

- Deboriole (San Diego, CA), January 15, 2016

- Aryore, December 13, 2015

- Julia Myer (USA), July 6, 2015

- Thrax, March 11, 2015

- hoopla, March 7, 2015

- Deka, February 23, 2015

- Jens Leugengroot (Germany), January 27, 2015

Fun multiple perspective game., January 5, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
This was a neat little game to play. It was engaging without lavish settings or detailed backstories. You truly cared about making things right with what information there was.

The puzzles were simple and straightforward, I only got stuck once. They could've been more complex, but it fit. The simplicity didn't detract from the game.

I like how author presented multiple personalities at once. I won't give anything away, but it was entertaining to see the other characters' take on inventory and such.

Overall, nice little game, I enjoyed it! My only addition would be an epilogue where they all go out for coffee after everything is over. I would like to see that.

- BlitzWithGuns, December 11, 2014