Play online
Story file

A Rope of Chalk

by Ryan Veeder profile

2020

An account of the disastrous sidewalk chalk tournament of August 27, 2011.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
Forgiveness Rating: Evanescent
IFID: 54330ED7-3C9B-47DA-803E-F6EF7B41EF3D
TUID: l4ziasab1x8t799c

7th Place - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

Now I know what it's like to... well, best you experience this one for yourself, October 8, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 1 hour
While I've never taken hallucinogens, I was drinking whiskey while I played this game. Not sure if that made me like it more or less.

Re-live the infamous sidewalk chalk tournament of 2011 as you take control of various people who were there, playing out your part in its sordid conclusion. I can't say too much about this game without spoiling the best parts of it. I will just say this: go into it with an open mind and if you get stuck don't be afraid to scroll slowly down the walkthrough, just to get the trick you need to move forward. I used the walkthrough a few times and it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the piece at all. Rather, while this game does feature a few things that I would consider puzzles, it is mostly about experiencing the moment. So take your time with this game, look around, talk to people... and when it gets weird, enjoy that too. I promise it will make sense (at least as much sense as possible) by the end. And don't forget to explore the bonus content after the end of the main game. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments in this game once you get the bit.

The only very minor, slightly spoiler, but essential thing that I would advise players of going into this game is (Spoiler - click to show)that in the first scene, playing as Lane, as you move through the map, make sure you stop and "x art" in each artist's square. It will help the rest of the game make more sense. Trust me.

Experience a sidewalk chalk contest through multiple viewpoints, October 19, 2020
Ryan Veeder has been one of my biggest influences in game design. His games are generally the model I use for quality and ease of play.

One thing Iíve always admired about his work is how he makes the most trivial parts of his games as elaborate as possible and simplifies the important parts. In the first review I ever wrote of one of his games, I said:

"The game gives you explicit directions on what to do at first. I love ignoring directions in parser games; in some games, like Bronze, the game just doesnít move forward at all if you ignore the directions. In this game, ignoring the directions gives you a lot of different, fun results.
[Ö]
The conversation system seemed at first incredible, and then very annoying, especially with the main favorable NPC. You have a lot to say, but 95% of it is completely irrelevant."

I no longer really see that as annoying, because now itís something I look forward to. And those two quotes above could easily describe this game as well.

This game is a multi-perspective look at a sidewalk chalk contest in 2011. Given Ryanís predilection for going whole-hog into fictional backstories for his game, I think itís likely this is entirely fictional, but there is a great deal of worldbuilding behind the scenes included in an epilogue. Itís especially interesting that the intent of the epilogue is to construct in the player an image of Ryan and his personal life, giving the game a pseudo-autobiographical nature.

The actual gameplay is walking through a sidewalk chalk contest multiple times as different people, together with some flashbacks and some flashweirds where things go bizarre. The game is abstract enough at times that you could put any personal interpretation on it, and I enjoy the interpretation where the sidewalk chalk contest represents IFComp. Funnily enough, it represents this comp very well, with games with heavy worldbuilding, a game that is entirely a political statement/slogan, games that are mostly decorative, games based almost entirely on other media by other creators, and sexy games that some judges feel are too sexy (guess that judge is me!).

So I enjoyed the game, it had exactly the kind of things I look for in a Ryan Veeder game. Itís always a pleasure to see the directions his mind takes him. If you liked this game, I could recommend Winter Storm Draco for a generally similar style. If you want more puzzles, Iíd recommend Taco Fiction, The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening, the Crocodracula games or Captain Verdeterreís Plunder.

+++++Polish, Descriptiveness, Interactivity, Emotional Impact, Would I play again?: All 5 categories are satisfied here.

Nostalgic or anti-nostalgic?, December 10, 2020
by Mike Russo (Los Angeles)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2020
I think I mentioned somewhere in the interminable chain of my previous Comp reviews that my knowledge of recent IF is rather patchy: I got into it in the early aughts, playing through all the Comp games from like í02 through í06 and catching up on most of the classics of the scene (I mean except Curses since itís hard), but then got less obsessive about it over the next few years and only dipped in intermittently through the teens, before the bug came roaring back last year. All of which is to say Iíve managed to pretty much entirely miss the era of Ryan Veeder Ė I think Taco Fiction was in the last Comp I took a half-serious run at before 2019ís, and dimly remember that it was fun and funny but not much else. As Iíve been getting back into things, I have checked out a few of his other games Ė Captain Verdeterreís Plunder and Ascent of the Gothic Tower Ė but Iím still aware that ďRyan Veeder gamesĒ are a well-defined thing these days, though one that's a bit of a mystery to me.

All of which is by way of saying that Iím not going to be able to situate A Rope of Chalk in the authorís oeuvre and am not completely sure what to make of the metafictional post-script Ė but nevertheless, I still dug the hell out of this game. ARoC situates itself as an attempt to document a college art contest from a decade in the past, while acknowledging in an introductory note that memory and the limitations of perspective being what they are, weíre in for a Rashomon-style confusion of narratives. Youíre given the choice to opt in or out of the story given these caveats, and if you say ďnoĒ the game quits, so fair warning that subjectivity is the order of the day. The game lives up to this premise by rotating you among four or five different protagonists (depending on how you count), and while thereís not much divergence in the actual sequence of events, each has a distinct narrative voice, with modifications not just to descriptions and action responses, but also most parser responses to account for who the protagonist is in each sequence. Thereís even different punctuation around dialogue options depending on who the main character is!

I started that paragraph out talking about the premise but quickly fell into the implementation, and thatís accurate to my experience of the game. The plot and characters are fun and everythingís well-written, but when Iím thinking back on what it was like to play ARoC, itís really the attention to detail and depth of implementation that stand out Ė like, thatís a thing that reviewers, including me, say about many games, but here itís almost spooky how the author sometimes seemed to be reading my mind. Like, thereís a point where your characterís perceptions get shifted (Spoiler - click to show)(I realize this applies to several bits, but Iím thinking of the beginning of the Nathalie sequence), and all sorts of verbs are rewritten to respond to the situation, including some that arenít ever useful to the story like JUMP and LAUGH. I donít want to spoil too many more, but there were a bunch of times when I typed something into the parser just to be cute, and was amazed to find that the author had gotten there first. There are niggles, of course Ė I hit on the idea of (Spoiler - click to show)using water to erase chalk art I didnít like while in the first sequence, playing as Lane, but instead of being told that wasnít something she would consider, there was a bunch of unpromising parser wrestling, so it was a bit surprising when that very thing wound up being suggested right out the gate in the second sequence. But many of these niggles are I think due to my own expectations, which had been inflated excessively high by the overall extreme level of responsiveness.

Plot-wise, ARoC is all about building up to one big event Ė youíre primed to know that something will go disastrously pear-shaped by the blurb and intro, and the opening sections have quite a lot to do and explore so it doesnít feel like busywork even though from a certain point of view, youíre just marking time until things really kick off. There are a bunch of characters to engage with, and while they all present as stereotypes at first blush, thereís enough substance beneath the surface to have made me wish there were more than the 4 or 5 dialogue options on offer for each conversation (even though I donít think the game would work as well if I got my wish Ė this is me noting smart design, not indicating an oversight). And since this is a sidewalk-chalk tournament, thereís a lot of fun, well-described art to look at, with each piece casting some light on the artist who made it (I was expecting Rachelís to be bad from the lead up, but I had no idea how awful it would actually turn out to be).

Once the key event kicks in, the game gets a little more focused and thereís even what you might be able to call a puzzle if you squint at it. But even as thereís some additional urgency, and a few real obstacles (Spoiler - click to show)(well, they might not be real but close enough), youíre always rewarded for lingering and straying off the beaten path Ė and the steps you need to take to progress are always quite clear, keeping the momentum and the enjoyment up.

I have a couple of more spoiler-y thoughts on the ending, so Iíll wrap up with those, after repeating again that this is an excellent, funny game (Iíve barely talked about the jokes, I realize). Anyway: (Spoiler - click to show)thereís a moment or two of catharsis at the end of the story, then an optional sequence where you can wander around whatís presented as the authorís office, finding various bits of correspondence and photos that purport to indicate the research thatís been done into the tournament, as well as providing some glimpses of what happened to these kids ten years out from college. I found this a bit enigmatic, since the ending didnít really leave me with a strong takeaway that was then recast by the afterward Ė it all worked well enough on its own, but I think I was waiting for some kind of twist or emotional punch that never fully landed. But in the end I think this might be the point: there are big things that happen in our lives sometimes and loom large in our memories, but when you try to pin down exactly what happened, or what simple cause-and-effect impact it had, it all slips away because people donít really work like that. I oscillate between thinking A Rope of Chalk is nostalgic and thinking itís anti-nostalgic, because it makes the past loom so large and presents a memory with such immediacy and impact, but also refuses to tie a bow around it and spell out what it all means.

If you enjoyed A Rope of Chalk...