Augustine

by Terrence V. Koch

Historical/Travel
2002

An extended Highlander-like parser game with great story, on rails, February 3, 2016
Augustine was nominated for an XYZZY for best story and best setting. It shows; the story is really intriguing, about two figures who battle each other in different guises throughout the ages.

You and a warlock from the 1300s are doomed to live until one defeats the other. You pass back and forth between modern times and ancient times through flashbacks, learning much about St. Augustine's history (I don't know how much was real, and how much made up for this game).

The writing is iffy and the implementation is definitely buggy, playing cutscenes in the wrong rooms or order. I didn't really like this game at first, but two things made me end up liking it: the story really is compelling, going in unexpected directions; and the combat system is really fun (although I had to UNDO a lot the first time). The final fight in particular was very exciting.

Recommended for those who can excuse spotty implementation/writing for the sake of a good tale.

- Thrax, March 11, 2015

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), January 27, 2015

- Egas, August 4, 2013

- DJ (Olalla, Washington), May 9, 2013

Augustine is clearly a well-intentioned, sincere work of IF, and it's clearly the product of a substantial amount of work. Just as obviously, it is the work of a novice author, and its flaws are hard to ignore. Consequently, my reactions to it were mixed.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment