Coloratura

by Lynnea Glasser profile

Previous | << 1 2 3 >> | Next | Show All

- whjohnson22, August 28, 2019

I have waited forever for a game like this, May 8, 2019
While I agree with the bulk of the reviews already singing (see what I did there?) the praises of this game, I still feel compelled to add further acclaim for the great attention to the parser. I found run-ins with default "don't know that verb" error messages to be surprisingly uncommon. This game does a great job of telling what is essentially a horror story from a non-horror perspective, making a somewhat "The Thing"-esque alien antagonist relatable and sympathetic. If you, like me, have ever wanted to play some sort of pacifist psychic ooze from the depths of the ocean - well, I'm surprised there was more than one person who wanted that, but you should absolutely play this. (Spoiler - click to show)That the author of the game even intuited that you might want to reclaim the lost little piece of your body in the science lab, and lets you do so, was, despite being a tiny touch, a moment that won my admiration.

- Laney Berry, January 30, 2019

- C.E.J. Pacian (England), June 19, 2016

- E. W. B., March 18, 2016

A mid-length sci-fi game from an alien perspective, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: about 2 hours
Coloratura is one of the greatest sci-fi IF of all time. In this game, you play as a being utterly different from us that encounters a situation it has never experienced before.

The game has all of the usual commands, plus some new commands, the most interesting of which are color-based commands. Different colors signify different moods or ideas.

The puzzles are extremely rewarding, and fit into the plot exactly. The NPC's are well-implemented, and the nature of the game makes you feel as if the parser is not limiting conversation at all, only the world itself is.

I didn't really need a map for this game. It took a couple of hours to play. The game's biggest strength is its ability to put you in the shoes of someone completely different from you, to make you really feel like you are them.

I only wish the game had lasted a bit longer. But this may have made the puzzles less cohesive.

- CMG (NYC), January 15, 2016