play online

4x4 Galaxy

by Agnieszka Trzaska profile

2020

4x4 Galaxy is a space exploration game with 16 planets that are different every playthrough thanks to procedurally generated content. Discover new worlds, battle space pirates and strange beasts, sell goods, explore abandoned mines, go on quests, buy equipment and upgrade your starship; gain enough power to complete your main objective, which is also procedurally generated!

First Publication Date: April 2, 2020
TUID: dz630p4mn3mb9g58

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2020

A lengthy procedurally generated space exploration game on a grid, April 8, 2020
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is one of the most interesting of Spring Thing. You have to explore a 4x4 grid of planets, with 4 'safe' planets in the middle, 8 dangerous planets on the edges, and 4 really dangerous planets in the corners (at least, that's how I interpreted it).

The writing is grounded in the pulp sci fi of decades ago, and has a lot of tropes from an older time, like 'impressing the natives' and taking treasures from their holy sites back to your society's museums.

The gameplay has a good rhythm of exploring, buying and selling, kind of reminiscent of Fallen London.

I really enjoyed this at first, but on each of my playthroughs, I hit a kind of wall at the end where I knew exactly what I needed to do but the resources seemed like a lot to acquire. There are some shortcuts (like special ores giving tons of crystals), but I felt each time like the interesting content ran out before the final quest did.

However, that might be due to my timeline in playing every game. Perhaps if I took it at a more leisurely pace it wouldn't be a big drawback, and I don't know if the author should change it.

If you enjoyed 4x4 Galaxy...

People who like 4x4 Galaxy also gave high ratings to these games:

Delphina's House, by Alice Grove
A girl must say goodbye to her home. But there's time for one last adventure....

TinyUtopias Football Manager: Super Soccer Slam Edition, by A. Johanna DeNiro
Your cooperatively owned soccer team begins on the sixth level of the pyramid of English football. Can you reach the top of the Premier League and also smash crony capitalism at the same time?

I Think The Waves Are Watching Me, by Bob McCabe
In a mysterious, dream-like world, enormous tidal waves have surrounded an island -- trapping you along with many others. And then the killing starts. What are you going to do? Better decide quickly. You have two hours left and the clock...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Agnieszka Trzaska on 7 May 2020 at 7:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item