play online

4x4 Galaxy

by Agnieszka Trzaska profile

2020

4x4 Galaxy is a space exploration game with 16 planets that are different every playthrough thanks to procedurally generated content. Discover new worlds, battle space pirates and strange beasts, sell goods, explore abandoned mines, go on quests, buy equipment and upgrade your starship; gain enough power to complete your main objective, which is also procedurally generated!

First Publication Date: April 2, 2020
TUID: dz630p4mn3mb9g58

Best in Show; Audience Choice, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2020

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Narrativium
4x4 Galaxy is a charming, straightforward text-based, choice-based space RPG with lots of procedural generation: normally, that would mean the beginning and end of the story are fixed, and the random stuff fills out the middle. But not here! Your character is randomly generated, with a random name, random skills, a random back-story, and even a random end-goal. It's impressive stuff.

Comfort Castle
The procgen worked for me here.[...]It helps a lot that the core gameplay loop is a lot of fun. You get a little guy and a spaceship, and you rove the galaxy trading resources and buying items to upgrade your guy and your spaceship while you work towards your quest. 44 Galaxy is sort of a bite-size sci-fi RPG, and its simple loop and constant character progression scratches that same itch for me as a good Cookie Clicker-like game does.

A lengthy procedurally generated space exploration game on a grid, April 8, 2020
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is one of the most interesting of Spring Thing. You have to explore a 4x4 grid of planets, with 4 'safe' planets in the middle, 8 dangerous planets on the edges, and 4 really dangerous planets in the corners (at least, that's how I interpreted it).

The writing is grounded in the pulp sci fi of decades ago, and has a lot of tropes from an older time, like 'impressing the natives' and taking treasures from their holy sites back to your society's museums.

The gameplay has a good rhythm of exploring, buying and selling, kind of reminiscent of Fallen London.

I really enjoyed this at first, but on each of my playthroughs, I hit a kind of wall at the end where I knew exactly what I needed to do but the resources seemed like a lot to acquire. There are some shortcuts (like special ores giving tons of crystals), but I felt each time like the interesting content ran out before the final quest did.

However, that might be due to my timeline in playing every game. Perhaps if I took it at a more leisurely pace it wouldn't be a big drawback, and I don't know if the author should change it.

If you enjoyed 4x4 Galaxy...