firebird.gam
firebird.sol
solution
Walkthrough and maps
Verbose walkthrough and maps by David Welbourn.

Firebird

by Bonnie Montgomery

1998

"Firebird is based on the Old Russian folk tales that inspired the Stravinsky piece of the same name. You are Prince Ivan, and have been charged by your father, the tsar, to find the Firebird that has been stealing your father's golden apples. Your two older brothers have already tried and failed -- can you triumph over the many obstacles in your quest? Remember, your mission is not as simple as it first seems..."
[author's blurb, from The (Other) TADS Games List version 1.2]

Current Version: Release 1.01
IFID: TADS2-75EDCD69F411C5589608553F54046B93
TUID: d9h1r3d920ap8ajf

A pleasant game, made of various bits of Russian folk tales, plus extraneous elements added for humorous effect. You play Prince Ivan, the youngest of three brothers and the last to be sent in search of the firebird that's been stealing your father's golden apples. Lots of threefold repetitions and other fairy-tale motifs. Easy puzzles, a few lengthy noninteractive scenes, and something like a maze (but mappable on a grid). Consistently amusing, with lots of exaggeration (including some exaggerated violence). A joy to play. Beginners will probably like this one.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

IF-Review
What's Big and Bright and Covered in Feathers?
Firebird does an admirable job following the conventions and style of faerie tales... characters are princes and princesses or tsars and tsarina's in disguise, buildings are made of silver, gold, or the appropriate sparkly material of choice, and events tend to fall in threes, creating a nice playing rhythm with the repetitions. For the most part these repetitions help rather than hinder the flow of the game. (Charon)

Reviews from Duncan Stevens and Paul O'Brian

Stevens: "If Firebird encouraged more research into backgrounds of games, and more innovative settings, it might lead to more creative games, never a bad thing. In its own right, it's a worthy effort."

O'Brian: "Firebird proves beyond a doubt that the intersection between folk tale and IF is a fertile one."

Based on Russian folklore this game has a decent storyline, relatively simple puzzles and a fairytale ending. [...] Although, even my limited knowledge of Russian folklore told me that a few of the humour elements contained therein weren't quite authentic, eg. the chefs, which made me smile and so probably achieved their purpose (unless I'm missing something of course). (Nick Edmunds)

A classic which just needs a little more fleshing out, October 24, 2019
This game is one of the first "modern" IF games that I played (probably my first download after playing Adventure), and the story has stuck with me through the years; although I couldn't remember all the details prior to this evening's replaying, I knew there was a part with a certain cute semiaquatic carnivorous mammal coming up which I liked.

The game cleverly allows several different endings, and it is a joy to go back through the game and retry all of them. The puzzles, though challenging, are not impossible. Unfamiliar with the Russian rhymes mentioned in another user's review, but quite familiar with Soviet cinema, I giggled at Montgomery's off-handed mention of the "irony of fate," surely a reference to the title of the 1975 classic comedy (which I have begun insisting that we watch in my home every New Years; Andrei Myagkov is my soul).

My major quibble with the game is that it needs a few more details - for example, descriptions of exits are not consistently available, making parts of the game seem much more difficult than they really are: more than once, I circled an area, not realizing I just needed to go north. (That is not a spoiler.) Moreover, some items described in the body of the room description have no description of their own as a decoration. For example, a non-player character handles a garment, but when you try to interact with or examine the garment, the garment does not exist - "I don't know the word ____." These are minor details, but considering that (1) all descriptions are part of an already-rich and rewarding Firebird world, and (2) Montgomery's humorous descriptions and in-jokes are so accessible, cross-linguistic, and pleasantly ubiquitous, it is disappointing not to be able to dig down into the details to find extra easter-eggs.

Overall, however, I give it 4.5 stars out of 5 - I must round up to a full 5-star review, because even for these missing details, the game is incredibly full and rich, and there are details yet to be discovered. Also, Vasilii's NPC is a delight, and he earns an extra half-star on his own. In another 20 years, I will happily play this game again - indeed, most likely far sooner than that.

Never thought I'll visit the island Bouyan in IF, February 23, 2016
by Sobol (Russia)
A curious mix of Russian folklore and American humor. Being a Russian, I was delighted to see familiar fairytale motives and phrases like "speedily a tale is spun, with much less speed a deed is done" (скоро сказка сказывается, да не скоро дело делается), "are you here to shirk a task or to find one?" (дела пытаешь аль от дела лытаешь?), "three times nine" (тридевять), etc.

The game is rather old-school - even for 1998. The world is sparingly implemented, there are some minor guess-the-verb moments - but it's funny and light-hearted, the puzzles aren't hard, there are multiple solutions (be sure to check the AMUSING section), and the "good" ending really has a na´ve fairytale charm (while the "evil" ending - the one where you (Spoiler - click to show)side with Katschei the Deathless - is, um...). There's a big maze in the game - but you won't need mapping it.

P. S. I was able to kiss almost everyone from the bear to Baba Yaga without anybody protesting. Well, I suppose being a prince has its benefits.

A lengthy retelling of a Russian folk tale in parser form, July 30, 2016
This game does a good job of recreating the feel of an old Russian folk tale, similar to the feel in Grimm's fairy tales.

You are tasked with finding the mythical Firebird. In your journey, you'll encounter frogs to kiss, princesses to court, series of 3 or 4 objects in a row with increasing magical properties, and so on.

The game was quite enchanting, although it comes from an earlier era of the internet that was somewhat less sensitive to some hot-topic issues today (like culture); however, part of this may just be tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at the same insensitivity in old myths.

A delightful game for fans of fairy tales.

If you enjoyed Firebird...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Firebird, or gave both high ratings:

Indigo, by Emily Short
"Years ago, a witch placed you in this tower and arranged for your upkeep, paying certain villagers well to keep you supplied with the most basic necessities, and no more. Your years in the tower have changed you. You are more or less a...

Gateway 2: Homeworld, by Mike Verdu and Glen Dahlgren
In the early twenty-second century, an immense alien spacecraft, dubbed the "Artifact," arrives in the Earth's solar system. The Artifact ignores all attempts at communication; no one knows whether its intentions are good or ill. You are...

The People's Glorious Revolutionary Text Adventure Game, by Taylor Vaughan
Sure, there's only five of you against a world full of reactionaries, but you have Revolutionary Spirit! You can't possibly fail. Nothing can stand in your way! Now if only you could find your Revolutionary to-do list...

Firebird appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fairytale/nursery rhyme games by MathBrush
A selection of fairy tale games, nursery rhyme games, or games involving the Fair Folk.

Danielle's Classic IF List by Danielle
Traditional adventure games, filled with happy puzzles. Only thing is, you don't need a fancy video card to see the great graphics. Instead, just add imagination.

Games I finished without hints. by Rovarsson
It does keep the immersion going not to get an outside voice telling you what to try. Some very friendly puzzlewise, some a tad harder.

The following polls include votes for Firebird:

One Hit Wonders by deathbytroggles
Good games by authors who apparently retired after their one gem.

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Fast-paced action scenes by Juhana
Fast-paced action is something that's notoriously hard to do in IF where waiting for player's input necessarily pauses the game every turn. Which games have succeeded in creating action scenes that convey the sense of urgency, danger and...

This is version 10 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 19 June 2015 at 10:18pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item