ADRIFT remastering
2015 remastering of the original Spectrum game
Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.
Play online (ADRIFT version)
Exe version
Windows Application (Windows XP and later) (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Spectrum version walkthrough
This is the walkthrough for the original spectrum game

The Axe of Kolt

by Larry Horsfield

Episode 1 of The Adventures of Alaric Blackmoon
1990

You are Alaric Blackmoon, a penniless ex-mercenary soldier, reduced to wandering the land and doing odd-jobs in return for food and a place to sleep. You have just left the town of Greenwych and you have hitched a ride on a haywain. The driver tells you that you might have luck finding gainful employment in the village of Hengemire.

Little do you know that what you hear in this village will send you on a quest to find a lost magical weapon and change your life for ever....

License: Former commercial
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: 5273B53B4A2B26ECACF44F4344E6042C
TUID: ci6lsqnrll5qd44s

Remade as The Axe of Kolt, by Larry Horsfield

Crash

"The imagination and thought thatís gone into the puzzles makes the game enjoyably frustrating ó if you know what I mean. Youíll need lateral thinking by the bucketful. Even objects you may think have served their use may be needed for a completely different purpose later on. Axe of Kolt is a little gem ó the best adventure Iíve played this year."

Your Sinclair

"From the start I made a couple of moves and with the experience of years of adventuring behind me immediately found myself outside the Dragonslayer's Arms. The bad news was that it was shut, so I wandered off again, found myself a clapper without a bell and returned to the pub just in time to give the landlord a helping hand. This earned me a bed for the night, a meal and all the ale I could sup. This is the life!"

Long and enjoyable old-school game, May 17, 2015
The "Axe of Kolt" is a legendary axe that you must recover and give to King Kelson, who has been captured by the evil Xixons ; a standard fantasy setting, played straight and nicely. This ADRIFT version is a remastering of the original ZX Spectrum game which came out in the early 90s; it is not exactly the same game, with some puzzles having been reworked or streamlined, and I think also adapted to modern sensitivities i.e. nicer to the player (which is good!). The game is Polite (or maybe a bit Tough), and you can die quite a few times (though never unfairly), but nothing that can't be solved by undoing a couple of times; the deaths themselves are rather 'pulpy' and I find them enjoyable.

The story itself is nothing special, but the setting is detailed and expansive; there are lots of characters, events, and locations, none of which feel forced or out of place. The world has diverse locations (each of the four acts has its own identity, so to speak), and everything is very thouroughly implemented (disclaimer: I was a beta tester for this game), which makes the whole thing alive. The puzzles themselves are fairly well balanced, though not too easy; most of them are well-clued, although there is inevitably a couple of 'read-the-author's-mind' moments, and there are no 'guess-the-verb' problems and other frustrations like that thanks to the great implementation. It's a long game: each of the four acts will probably take half a dozen hours, and there are a lot of puzzles; the game is also pretty linear, which means you might get stuck sometimes.

Overall, "The Axe of Kolt" is a long, classical text adventure with a nice setting, very good implementation and fair puzzles; it's an old school game that avoids a lot of the old-school pitfalls, and thus suited to modern sensitivities.

If you enjoyed The Axe of Kolt...

People who like The Axe of Kolt also gave high ratings to these games:

Opening Night, by David Batterham
You stepped off the streetcar moments ago, halting before the grand facade of the Marquis Theatre. You have come to see your idol, the Broadway star Miranda Lily, performing in all her dizzying glory. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

The Surprising Case of Brian Timmons, by Marshal Tenner Winter
You listen to the old broad on the other end of the phone as she finishes her plight. "Brian has gone insane. I've had to have him committed.", she tells you. You haven't seen Brian Timmons in several years and now his distraught mother...

Eunice, by Gita Ryaboy
Eunice is a shadow of its former glory. Hope is lost, just a faint mem-ory Whatever might have brought you here, That Eunice needs you, it is clear. Type out simple commands, and Notice the changes in Eunice land. Odd creatures and...

The Axe of Kolt appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of ADRIFT 5 by Denk
The following games are in my opinion the best ADRIFT 5 games. The games I like most have been given the highest position, except for Larry Horsfield's games, which would have taken all places in top 5, if I had not distributed them...

The following polls include votes for The Axe of Kolt:

Vast but not Cruel by Floating Info
I'd like to see games that are long and spacious, yet aren't Cruel (or very Nasty) on the Zarfian scale. Essentially, games that the main reason for saving is for time or the occasional timed part.

Long-Form Games That Don't Require Mapping by Steven Watson
Playing Losing Your Grip has reminded me of just how tedious I find manual mapping in lengthy games, no matter how much I enjoy everything else. So, I'm looking for some long, engrossing games that don't require the player to draw maps....

Combat puzzle games by Jeremy Freese
What I'm looking for are games that have fights that are ostensibly combat, but the solution to winning the fight is really a matter of solving a puzzle.

This is version 17 of this page, edited by Denk on 9 February 2020 at 10:53am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item