Story file
Play online
And check out the source code

Caduceus

by Sarah Willson (as Mala Costraca)

2020

First Publication Date: February 3, 2020
TUID: 5z1avk9srfvgme1s

1st Place, Event 1 - Second Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction

Ryan Veeder's Judgment
9.5 points out of 10
This is extremely clever and I love it. I feel anxiety about awarding a perfect score, and if I look closely I can find enough small flaws to justify an assertion that this Entry is not perfect. Therefore I award Caduceus 9.5 points out of 10.

"reckless, brave, hysterical or shy", June 22, 2020
All of the entries in the pretty-code contest have their strong suits, but it's not just that Caduceus' source has a lovely poetic flow to it. The game it creates has a very different, mostly-prosaic vibe to it, while telling the same story with the same terse descriptions.

As a game Caduceus just looks like a short proof-of-concept with a less-than-obvious final move. As source, even the wasted space (such as the adjectives borrowed for this review title) serves a purpose. Top honors were warranted.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Zape on 16 July 2020 at 5:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item