You are Standing at a Crossroads

by Astrid Dalmady profile

You are Standing at a Crossroads is a short Twine story about being lost, being changed, and being stagnant.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2014
TUID: 5fs96f2u2m6a2443

Memorable creepy Twine game with great use of repetition, May 11, 2015
This is the only Twine game I've played through twice (maybe I've even played it three times). It takes less than 20 minutes to play, with some very mild puzzles. The genre is creepy horror (as opposed to grossout or Lovecraftian).

The writing is well done. Of the four main areas, I felt one was weaker than the others, but on the second playthrough, I found it even creepier than the others.

The reason I enjoy this game is something others may not care about. I enjoy it because it almost feels ritualistic, like a Greek mystery play about life. The format, the pacing, the repetition, is very successful, in a way different than Porpentine's use of the same elements. I see myself revisiting this game every now and then for the fun of it. Others may have different responses.

The ground shifts under your feet, August 20, 2017
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic, phlegmatic
You are standing at a crossroads. Wherever you go, you will end up at a crossroads.

The writing is memorable: evocative language, unsettling imagery. Visit a location twice, and it opens up. Enter. Participate. Maybe, finally, you'll discover where you are. Some locations recall childhood - a playground; a zoo - but all are deserted. There is a semblance of life, but you never get to see it for yourself.

Quiet piano music, links which set the pace and mutable text illustrate a place which changes only when you're not looking, which constantly keeps the ground uneven under your feet.

In the pattern of my father's long, long legs, Crossroads presents itself as an unsettling, low-interactivity twine. As dynamic fiction, one tends to ask, would this work as static fiction?

Perhaps not. Not without a way to set a reader's expectations, and let the reader discover how they might be broken.

If you enjoyed You are Standing at a Crossroads...

People who like You are Standing at a Crossroads also gave high ratings to these games:

Bronze, by Emily Short
When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

Foo Foo, by Buster Hudson
Someone's been bopping the field mice on the head, and only Good Fairy, Senior Detective can find out who. A parser-driven noir adventure based on the interactive fiction of Ryan Veeder.

Fourdiopolis, by Andrew Schultz
A sequel to Threediopolis. It has teleporters!

You are Standing at a Crossroads appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Weird, Surreal Games that Prove You Don't Need Drugs to Know What a Hard Trip Is Like by thecanvasrose
An ongoing list of bizarro, out of the box, quirky and 'who would ever think to make this' games which force one to question their own sanity, if just a little bit. P.S. In case the name of this list mislead you, these are not actually...

Games that I couldn't put down by MathBrush
These are games that for some reason or over I just couldn't stop playing and thinking about. There are no specific reasons given. These aren't necessarily my favorite games; one reason they are pageturner is that the pacing is good and...

general stuff i dont want to lose by Merrill

The following polls include votes for You are Standing at a Crossroads:

The game(s) that changed your mind about Twine by MathBrush
I've seen many people discuss their feelings for Twine. Many of them say that they didn't think it was a 'real' platform at first, but then certain games changed them (see, for instance, the commentary in "IF is Dead. Long Live IF") For...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by dastridly on 1 October 2016 at 7:34pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item