Spring Thing version

Napier's Cache

by Vivienne Dunstan profile

Historical
2020

Scotland, 1594: You're used to strange requests in your role as servant to John Napier. He's not just famous as a mathematician, but is also known for his occult skills and knowledge, still valued in these dangerous times. But the latest quest may be the toughest one yet, as you prepare to help him hunt for lost treasure in remote Fast Castle, home of the dangerous Logan of Restalrig. Will you find it? Or will you discover something else instead?

First Publication Date: April 2, 2020
IFID: 1841D28A-AEB3-4F83-BCE4-5BA9D129B791
TUID: 4np21bl7mr02wsk2

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2020

An unusual historical parser game, April 11, 2020
I beta tested this game.

Napier's Cache is in an unusual niche of historical fiction, and is based on a family story of the author.

It is fairly linear in story with nonlinear interactions in each 'phase'. You first have a small treasure hunt, followed by a dinner scene, then another treasure hunt and a simple maze.

In design it reminds me quite a bit of Christminster, an early (pre-IFComp) inform game that was well-regarded at the time, that also had you doing things like eating at a dinner with scholars and discovering the history of old alchemists.

Overall, the quality is well-done, and most reasonable interactions are coded for. I enjoyed each iteration of this better than the previous, and I believe this is something to be proud of.

Short, easy and well written, April 2, 2020
by Denk
Related reviews: Inform
I have been looking forward to this game since I played the IntroComp version in 2018. I wasn't disappointed, except that I was hoping for a longer game since I was having such a good time! But I guess no matter how long a game is, you would like it to be longer if it is great.

This game is both short and easy but what there is, is well written and I was constantly excited to see the next scene. There were no ingenious puzzles, but they fit well into the story. The ending was a bit tame, but otherwise, it was a great game. And I cannot guarantee that there isn't a better ending and that I just didn't find it.

Anyway, I am glad I played it.

If you enjoyed Napier's Cache...

People who like Napier's Cache also gave high ratings to these games:

Aotearoa, by Matt Wigdahl
The Fish of Māui. The Land of the Long Cloud. Aotearoa. An entire continent of untamed wilds, and the last place on Earth where dinosaurs still roam. If only you'd come ashore under better circumstances...

In the End, by Joe Mason
Your best friend has just died, and life drags on miserably. Would death be better than this? [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Weird City Interloper, by C.E.J. Pacian
An interactive tale of strange conspiracy. Pull up your hood, lower your gaze and enter the city of Zendon. If you can gather enough information, you may just be able to change the course of history. (Weird City Interloper is a shallow...

The following polls include votes for Napier's Cache:

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

Historical adventures. by Rovarsson
I love historical novels, no matter what time period they're set in. They do have to be accurate though. Can you suggest IF-games that are also like that? (In short: no magic.)

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Zape on 8 May 2020 at 10:37pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item