Meeting Robb Sherwin

by Jizaboz

Slice of life

A slice-of-life adventure in Denver, Colorado.

IFID: 84EBF7A1-99AE-4C71-A6A2-F8C2F1B30572
TUID: 4lrxz5uhrraxp1kx

71st Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A short and earnest real-life tale in parser format, October 4, 2019
Okay, this game is not a comp-killer. It's short, the puzzles are very easy, the plot is linear.

But it's just brimming with honesty and earnestness. This is a real-life tale of friendship and tribute. The protagonist doesn't sound like me; grabbing a 24% THC stash in Colorado and downing draft beers with buds isn't me. But that's okay; the thing I like about this game is that it's a window into another life, a window into a period of bonding and experience. The author has put his real self on the page (or at least made it look like that!) and it's so rare to find something like that.

And the simple game design makes for less bugs. There are some rough spots, but it wasn't too hard to get out of.

Here's to friendship!

Fallacy of Denver, December 5, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
I was looking forward to this game, hoping to learn something about one of the all-time great IF authors. Unfortunately, the only thing that I learned was that he got married and he invited some friends. I learned a bit about the author, including his aversion to Uber, but I would have rather just a read a story about his trip than playing this game. Perhaps it was the fairly banal descriptions of people and places. Perhaps it was the complete lack of puzzles while being force fed commands to type to advance the story. Perhaps it was all the spelling mistakes. But the entire exercise felt like a chore.

If you enjoyed Meeting Robb Sherwin...