Manlandia

by Rob Chateau

Utopian

Go to the game's main page

Deliberate misrepresentation and plagiarism as art, October 26, 2016
by Owlor (Sweden)
The text of this game is copied wholesale from "Herland" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and it, by all accounts intentionally, does a poor job communicating this fact. There is a hint towards its origin, but it's not anything that could be called disclosure: you have to a) be well-versed in obscure concept art AND read between the lines to get it. All it really does is establish that yes, the author misrepresented their own game deliberately and they are prolly feeling very smug about it.

This is not something I can judge by the standards of fiction, interactive or otherwise. This is a ploy, if it's not deliberate trolling and all I can really do is inform people of this fact.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

dream, October 28, 2016 - Reply
The game does provide a link about Herland at the end. It at least changes the names of characters and the pronouns and gender-specific phrasings.

The end note:
(Spoiler - click to show)And you, dear reader, I also let you go.

If you found something to amuse or edify you in this tale of MANLANDIA, you might wish to also read this, or, perchance, this.

It may be a conflict of interest to review this work when your own work is in competition with this work.
Owlor, October 28, 2016 - Reply
That's the link and the note I was referring to when I said: "There is a hint towards its origin, but it's not anything that could be called disclosure."

You don't get to use the rules of the IF-comp as weapons in an online discussion; if you believe I am in violation of them, report me! I simply don't care enough about winning the comp for it to be useful as a threat. (Even if I was inclined to cheat, which I am not, it's simply not a big enough deal for me to go out of my way to sabotage anyone.

I intentionally did not rate it and my motivation for writing the review is to inform people of facts that are already public. I have also reviewed many more IF-comp games besides this one, so if you are looking for evidence that I'm unduly influencing the vote, you should start there.
namekuseijin, October 26, 2016 - Reply
well, it's pretty crappy anyway...
Previous | << 1 >> | Next