Download the Album
Contains Fingertips - Come on and Wreck My Car.z8
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Fingertips: Come On and Wreck My Car

by Paul Laroquod

Episode 23 of Apollo 18 Tribute Album
2012

First Publication Date: March 26, 2012
IFID: DC96A99C-25CF-4371-8975-E2577FEA4A27
TUID: 3dq6d1flnt2u5llh

18 ways to crash your clunker, May 31, 2012
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
A lot of the Apollo 18 one-movers followed the basic formula of forcing the player to pay attention to detail to find out newer, more precise moves. Some made an actual story. COWMC doesn't quite, but its different branches certainly provide a lot of amusement. It's got a nice little percent-solved meter, and the mathier among us will see the number of ways through. Some obviously contradict each other. And plus, it starts with your car falling and manages many endings other than the obvious one. Strictly they're implausible, but so's a falling car, and it's more than fun and well-written enough.

You'll need a bit more patience reading than with What's That Blue Thing Doing Here or Leave Me Alone, which are worth playing to compare and on their own, but it definitely pays off. It allows more different actions than LMA, which is more about finding fun wrong stuff and using classical IF commands than about observation. There's more of a narrative than WTBTDH, which has some really clever meta-jokes I'm a bit jealous of.

The one thing I would add to this game would be a (Spoiler - click to show)tally of what you've looked at and maybe how you got it, or maybe even eventually hint which endings you need to re-look at(yes, one of my Apollo games needed this even more,) so you spend less time running in circles (I did, and so did ClubFloyd,) wondering if you took care of X or Y or Z. This sort of violates the strict one-move premise, but given how endings clue new endings & that's part of the game's strength, it could help the player get that last lousy point from a blind spot he may have.

That's technical, though. This is an effective and entertaining use of the one-move limitation, and I'm glad I eventually got to be part of a group that worked through it all.

Wreck that thing, April 2, 2016
The author credited "Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die" as an inspiration; the format overlap is evident, but this one's more lovingly described and also has a reassuring score system to let you know when you've discovered everything. Catnip to a multiple-endings-aficionado such as myself.

For a lark, I tried putting together the possible actions in a natural flow. There are a great many variations with which one could approach the game, of course, but some endings suggest other endings, so here's one list.

(Spoiler - click to show)Crash
I
exit
fly
wear sombrero
get tape
open glove box
X severed head
call 999 (or 911, if you prefer)
X windows
listen harder
take pencil
wake up
push button
X odometer (mileometer does not work for this one)
wake up

A one-move game with wildly varying results, February 13, 2016
This game has more variation in it than any other one-move game I have seen. Depending on your action, you could be a human, a robot, a galaxy, or who knows?

Each scenario is well written. I would have given this game 4 stars, but it has a meter telling you how many of the endings this reached, and this just made it frustrating as its quite difficult to guess all the verbs.

If you enjoyed Fingertips: Come On and Wreck My Car...

People who like Fingertips: Come On and Wreck My Car also gave high ratings to these games:

Ghost Highland Way, by Harry Giles
A spooky sad scots randomised gamepoem, about being outside and looking and remembering.

The Wand, by Arthur DiBianca
Explore the wizard Bartholloco's castle with the help of a versatile magic wand. Can you overcome his challenge? Can you levitate a rock? Can you slice a baltavakia? (Puzzle-oriented and family friendly.)

You Will Select a Decision, by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
A pair of knock-off choose your own adventure books from Soviet-era Kyrgyzstan.

Fingertips: Come On and Wreck My Car appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Apollo 18+20 by Teaspoon
Interactive fiction games, with one game per track on the album Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants. The regular tracks are generally short games. The Fingertips tracks are one-move games (however the authors interpreted that). The games...

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Teaspoon on 27 March 2016 at 4:24pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item