Windows executable

The House Abandon

by jonNoCode

A unique horror game, inside another horror game. 80ís text-adventure by way of psychological horror and meta-representation. A short story, free, for PC and Mac.

Created for Ludum Dare 36, this 72 hour game jam project suddenly became an overnight hit, with front page features on gaming sites within days of release.

It's creepy, its different, it's only 20 minutes long, and it's free. Go try it, and let us know what you think.

First Publication Date: August 31, 2016
Development System: Unity
TUID: 3a27dvcapc5fg3cz

Short horror game with impressive sound and visual design, February 16, 2017
This isn't a pure text adventure: it's a simulation of a text adventure, coded in Unity, with a fairly static visual background that changes alarmingly as the story unfolds.

The entire experience gives off a "Stranger Things" vibe, from the Stephen King-esque typeface to the Tangerine-Dreams inspired ambient electronic music playing in the background.

The parser was frustrating at times: it seemed to struggle to understand very similar commands, but was workable, and thankfully there are no convoluted puzzles or complex verb/noun issues.

The overall experience was short and well-plotted. I think the central conceit is one that could easily grow stale, but the author ended this perfectly, while the idea was still novel, frightening, and evocative.

This is a very cool work that plays with nostalgia and horror in very satisfying ways.

A Fresh Approach to the Classics, April 13, 2019
by Dylan Kinnett (Baltimore, Maryland)
Play this one with the lights off and the sound on so you can enjoy an innovative text adventure that moves beyond the ordinary.

If you enjoyed The House Abandon...