Windows executable

The House Abandon

by jonNoCode

A unique horror game, inside another horror game. 80ís text-adventure by way of psychological horror and meta-representation. A short story, free, for PC and Mac.

Created for Ludum Dare 36, this 72 hour game jam project suddenly became an overnight hit, with front page features on gaming sites within days of release.

It's creepy, its different, it's only 20 minutes long, and it's free. Go try it, and let us know what you think.

First Publication Date: August 31, 2016
Development System: Unity
TUID: 3a27dvcapc5fg3cz

Short horror game with impressive sound and visual design, February 16, 2017
This isn't a pure text adventure: it's a simulation of a text adventure, coded in Unity, with a fairly static visual background that changes alarmingly as the story unfolds.

The entire experience gives off a "Stranger Things" vibe, from the Stephen King-esque typeface to the Tangerine-Dreams inspired ambient electronic music playing in the background.

The parser was frustrating at times: it seemed to struggle to understand very similar commands, but was workable, and thankfully there are no convoluted puzzles or complex verb/noun issues.

The overall experience was short and well-plotted. I think the central conceit is one that could easily grow stale, but the author ended this perfectly, while the idea was still novel, frightening, and evocative.

This is a very cool work that plays with nostalgia and horror in very satisfying ways.

A Fresh Approach to the Classics, April 13, 2019
by Dylan Kinnett (Baltimore, Maryland)
Play this one with the lights off and the sound on so you can enjoy an innovative text adventure that moves beyond the ordinary.

If you enjoyed The House Abandon...

People who like The House Abandon also gave high ratings to these games:

Birdland, by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
Fourteen-year-old Bridget's summer camp experience takes a turn for the bizarre when her otherworldly bird dreams start bleeding into reality.

Thanksgiving, by Hannah Powell-Smith
You're twenty-one. It's dark in here. Thanksgiving is a story game about being an anxious student with secrets, meeting your boyfriend's folks for the first time. And being Judged. Play in your browser on most devices.

Robin & Orchid, by Ryan Veeder and Emily Boegheim
High school journalists spend the night in a church, investigating reports of a ghost.

The House Abandon appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Nontraditional Parser, Gamebook, IF and Systems by thecanvasrose
This list is based on a poll you can add votes to. I will update the list from time to time to reflect what's on the poll as I play the elected games and can write snippets about them. See here:...

Favorite Horror Games by thecanvasrose
The horror IF that I most love and enjoy! (I generally prefer narrative over puzzles and scare-factor over narrative.) Ranked from least to most favorite. For a list of other horror games with good ratings, see my other horror games...

The following polls include votes for The House Abandon:

Nontradiational Parser, Gamebook, IF and Systems by thecanvasrose
I'm making a list based on this poll as I play the elected games and can write snippets about them. See here: https://ifdb.tads.org/viewlist?id=3n6rheokfkcsntf - - - - - - - - - I'm looking for games which are: 》Neither parser nor...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by thecanvasrose on 27 October 2019 at 6:59pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item