Night of Nights

by Grim profile

Carnivalesque

Survive a monstrous masquerade in Night of Nights, navigating a perverse carnival where suffering is a prize and maladies are sought out as novelties. Choose an exquisitely crafted mask! Woo a mysterious stranger! Have your fortune told! Participate in an auction! Contract leprosy!

But that's not all, fair reveler! There are even more activities to discover beyond the gates of the Mascherata. You have been invited to carouse among peerage and poverty, pundits and pariahs, merchants and mendicants. Who are you to them? Who are they to you?

No one, that's who. Once you have donned the mask, it will make you anew -- and it will not come off so easily.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2018
TUID: 15vobq444ofgptg1

Entrant, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2018

Delightful!, October 9, 2019
by willakitty (Wisconsin, USA)
Related reviews: willakitty, fun, disease
The first interactive fiction game that I've tried on the site and it was quite delightful. The fact that every action carries it's own risk is nice! I only wish that there was more detail that you could better guess the outcome of events before subjecting yourself to them.

This game gave me rabies and leprosy, November 3, 2018
In this Ectocomp Grand Guignol game, you play as a masked reveler in a sort of grim fantasy realm.

This is a substantial game, bigger than most IFComp Twine games (though I think this is a proprietary system, not Twine). There are at least 13 locations, an inventory system and economy, various sicknesses you can acquire.

It seems like an Italian horror version of Carneval, with decadent displays by comedians, dancing, buffets, etc.

I found a satisfying ending after exploring about half the map, and felt content. Styling was rich and gorgeous. I think this is even better than Devotionalia, the author's IFComp game.

If you enjoyed Night of Nights...

People who like Night of Nights also gave high ratings to these games:

Kerkerkruip, by Victor Gijsbers
Kerkerkruip is a short-form roguelike in the interactive fiction medium, featuring meaningful tactical and strategic depth, innovative game play, zero grinding, and a sword & sorcery setting that does not rehash tired clichés.

Cup of Frost, Palm of Gold, by Emma Osborne

I THINK I'LL STOP OFF ON THE WAY, by piratescarfy
A surreal horror story about an English service station with randomly selected content if certain passages are revisited. Written while on holiday in the Lake District.

Night of Nights appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

This is version 3 of this page, edited by G.C. "Grim" Baccaris on 25 November 2018 at 8:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item