Night of Nights

by Grim profile

Carnivalesque

Survive a monstrous masquerade in Night of Nights, navigating a perverse carnival where suffering is a prize and maladies are sought out as novelties. Choose an exquisitely crafted mask! Woo a mysterious stranger! Have your fortune told! Participate in an auction! Contract leprosy!

But that's not all, fair reveler! There are even more activities to discover beyond the gates of the Mascherata. You have been invited to carouse among peerage and poverty, pundits and pariahs, merchants and mendicants. Who are you to them? Who are they to you?

No one, that's who. Once you have donned the mask, it will make you anew -- and it will not come off so easily.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2018
TUID: 15vobq444ofgptg1

Entrant, Le Grand Guignol - EctoComp 2018

This game gave me rabies and leprosy, November 3, 2018
In this Ectocomp Grand Guignol game, you play as a masked reveler in a sort of grim fantasy realm.

This is a substantial game, bigger than most IFComp Twine games (though I think this is a proprietary system, not Twine). There are at least 13 locations, an inventory system and economy, various sicknesses you can acquire.

It seems like an Italian horror version of Carneval, with decadent displays by comedians, dancing, buffets, etc.

I found a satisfying ending after exploring about half the map, and felt content. Styling was rich and gorgeous. I think this is even better than Devotionalia, the author's IFComp game.

If you enjoyed Night of Nights...

People who like Night of Nights also gave high ratings to these games:

Machine of Death, by Hulk Handsome
In the near future, the world will be changed by a machine that predicts how a person will die with 100% accuracy... but not clarity. Would knowing your demise change the way you lived your life? A collection of three short interactive...

Kurusu City, by Kevin Venzke
An IFComp 2004 Entry

The Recruit, by Mike Sousa
Try your hand at the Real Life Interactive Gaming Simulacra! You'll face a variety of challenges and simulations and have a chance to win some money and great prizes. Apply today!

Night of Nights appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games by thecanvasrose

This is version 3 of this page, edited by G.C. "Grim" Baccaris on 25 November 2018 at 8:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item