their angelical understanding

by Porpentine profile

I train to fight angels in a monastery by the sea.

Wear headphones.

TW: Suicidal ideation, ableism, abuse, possible epilepsy trigger.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
TUID: zpmfvbgolvfwbid

9th Place overall; 2nd Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best Implementation - 2013 XYZZY Awards

13th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2015 edition)

Powerful stuff, October 19, 2013
First Porpentine game for me, so I was kinda eager to see why people were talking about her games. And it went great!
The game isn't too long, about half an hour. There's a lot of surreal elements in it, which I thought were brilliant: it made the whole experience very powerful and vivid. The prose feels raw and emotional, which I understand seems to be Porpentine's writing style; it works great here, because the game focuses on trauma and its consequences, and it really makes you feel what the character feels. Sometimes there's weird details thrown in, and they never fail to make the text more evocative. Sound and animations are sometimes used to complement the atmosphere, and I thought it worked well when they were used.
Also, gameplay is very cleverly used to convey emotions (that bit where (Spoiler - click to show)you just can't stop crushing the angel was absolutely brilliant). Finally, I found the final sequence very smart and powerful ((Spoiler - click to show)the game where you must be the last one bleeding, so to speak - it felt like a weird cross between Marienbad and Chuck Palahniuk).
There were also a few flaws in the game; for instance, it feels kind of disjointed, and I'm not sure I understood how everything fit together in the end ((Spoiler - click to show)the basement in the first location with the bottles containing your faces is interesting imagery, but I still don't really see the connection to what I felt was the main theme of the game). Also, Porpentine's distinctive style, of raw, no-bullshit sentences and emotions, means that sometimes it feels a bit sore or like it's missing its target and fails to evoke anything to you, or evokes the wrong thing - I guess it's a risk to take. (One of the things that really didn't work for me is (Spoiler - click to show)the use of the term "your nemesis" in the final sequence: in my head, this particular word feels overly dramatic, and I associate it with James Bond villains - I get that the intent was to stress that this character was absolute evil to you, but at that point I was so into the story that I didn't need a reminder that he was evil: a simple "him" or "the bastard" would have been more effective than "nemesis", which I felt made the prose go a bit over-the-top).
But anyway, this game worked very well for me for most of the things it attempted to do, and is really a very good and powerful game.

On to Howling Dogs!

A game that evokes strong emotions, August 6, 2015
This game is a literary masterpiece, just as The Scream is a art masterpiece. Also like the Scream, it conveys strong negative emotions and unease.

The game contains many dark themes, including abuse, death, self-abuse, etc. The game includes strong profanity at key moments to convey depth of emotion.

The game is fascinating to play. Many of Porpentine's game give you the same visceral feel, but the amount of carnage and sexual violence varies, from Cyberqueen on the bad end to Howling Dogs and With Those We Love Alive on the other. This game falls in the middle, more towards the less gruesome side.

A story that will stick with you. Also, good implementation of special text effects, player input, exploration and inventory management, and multiple, endings involving moral choices.

Not a happy game, but a meaningful game.

interactive angst poetry, March 18, 2014
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
ok, I may bash lame twitter fiction to death, but not so much poetry -- I like it. This is poetry, and good one at that: carefully woven verse interplay between what is said and what is meant. And that it is interactive and allows you to be in the shoes of the poetic persona is fascinating.

It seems Porpentine, when not in the mood for blatant puke-inducing passages, is able of showcasing fine word craftsmanship. The short poetic prose is quite excellent, and the metaphors creatively apt. Each verse pulsates through the screen vividly, each given proper screen estate as you usually don't find in static poems.

There are quite a few game-like aspects -- the few lock-and-key puzzles, a few tasks to complete -- and a few meta-game aspects -- like chosing this or that setting or your personal features -- but the poem really shines in the writing and message.

On the whole, an enjoyable renunion of fine presentation choices (including the loveable font, font effects and sound effects). Even though what it presents us is a bleak story of (Spoiler - click to show)rape, abortion and dehumanization. Poetry that matters, after all.

kudos

If you enjoyed their angelical understanding...

People who like their angelical understanding also gave high ratings to these games:

Indigo, by Emily Short
"Years ago, a witch placed you in this tower and arranged for your upkeep, paying certain villagers well to keep you supplied with the most basic necessities, and no more. Your years in the tower have changed you. You are more or less a...

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a magician's servant who gets trapped in your master's vault; you'll need to learn some of his tricks if you want to get out.

Bronze, by Emily Short
When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

their angelical understanding appears in the following Recommended Lists:

2013 XYZZY Awards Nominees by Molly
Here are the nominees for the 2013 XYZZY Awards, roughly by order of appearance on the finalist page. Note that this list does not cover the Best Technological Development Award.

The following polls include votes for their angelical understanding:

Best Endings by Marshal Tenner Winter
I need help with my endings in my works so I'm asking for any suggestions for games that have great finales, denouements, and/or epilogues, so that I may study what others have done. Thanks!

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest non-player characters from games released in 2013, who you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY Awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the NPC (or NPCs) in the comment...

The game(s) that changed your mind about Twine by MathBrush
I've seen many people discuss their feelings for Twine. Many of them say that they didn't think it was a 'real' platform at first, but then certain games changed them (see, for instance, the commentary in "IF is Dead. Long Live IF") For...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Emily Boegheim on 4 November 2013 at 10:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item