Commercial game not available for download.
Browser Game
Emulated game in browser from archive.​org

by Douglas Adams and The Staff of Infocom

IMPORTANT! Our records show that you do not have a license to operate this software. Normally, you would be required to complete a License Application Form and mail it (with proof of purchase) to our Licensing Department, and then wait the customary four to six months for processing.

Luckily, for your convenience, we have, at the last minute and at great expense, installed a remarkable new on-line electronic application form on this very disk, which will be processed by our modern 24-hour computer service moments after you fill it in.

Bureaucracy! Everyone, at one time or another, feels bound up in an endless swathe of red tape. In Bureaucracy, best-selling humorist Douglas Adams draws on his own battles with beadledom to create a hilarious misadventure. You'll find yourself in the midst of a bureaucratic muddle so convoluted that you can't help but laugh.

You've just landed a great new job and moved to a spiffy house in a nice little town. You're even being sent to Paris this very afternoon for a combination training seminar and vacation. What could possibly go wrong? The answer, of course, is everything. When the bank refuses to acknowledge your change-of-address form, you'll find yourself entangled in a series of bureaucratic mishaps that take you from the feeding trough of a greedy llama to the lofty branches of a tree deep in the Zalagasan jungle.

The distinctive humor that made The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a runaway success will keep you in stitches as you confront a series of bureaucratic puzzles and experience the thrill of outsmarting the powers that be.

License: Commercial
Development System: ZIL
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFIDs:  ZCODE-86-870212
TUID: zjyxds3s57pgis3x

This game has become the standard by which almost all tongue-in-cheek games about real life are measured, and has been imitated many times, but seldom equalled. The atmosphere is not surprisingly, very much like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but is in many ways funnier since it hits areas that the gamer will have experienced firsthand.
-- Graeme Cree

If you enjoyed Bureaucracy...

People who like Bureaucracy also gave high ratings to these games:

Taco Fiction, by Ryan Veeder
Taco Fiction is a game about crime.

TimeQuest, by Bob Bates
You are a private in an organization called the Temporal Corps. As the game begins, a general calls you into his office, explaining that a Corps lieutenant has apparently conceived the insane notion of going back in time to deliberately...

A Day at the Office, by David Whyld
The best worker in the office, Bob Newbold, has been tragically run down and only YOU - the company tea boy - has a hope of getting everything shipshape before the Japanese businessmen arrive. Are you up to the challenge?

Bureaucracy appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My List Of Most Fun Games Ever by Rotonoto
(in purely alphabetical order)

The Canonical Infocom Games by wfaulk
This is a list of the canonical Infocom games in order of release, as according to the Infocom Fact Sheet.

The following polls include votes for Bureaucracy:

Games where the PC is an antihero by Sorrel
I'm looking for games where the PC is the villain/antihero of the story and the traditional plotlines of "good beats evil" aren't followed.

Games about travel by penguincascadia
This list is for games either about travel or with travel as a major part of the plot or background. Stuff like being able to choose where you go from a relatively wide range of destinations, road trips, exploring a city or region as a...

Games that show everyday life by Sam Jackson
I'm looking for preferably short games that focus on part of someone's life in our world and preferably our time. I would like games with an emotional focus.

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Calion on 16 March 2017 at 1:26am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item