Java-playable version online
Somewhat clunky online version.
Illustrated version, playable online
BBC's 20th century anniversary version of the game
Hints
Scroll to the bottom for a few helpful hints.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams and Steve Meretzky

Science Fiction/Humor/Literary
1984

Don't Panic! Relax, because everything you need to know about playing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is contained in the pages of this manual. In this story, you will be Arthur Dent, a rather ordinary earth creature who gets swept up in a whirlwind of interstellar adventures almost beyond comprehension.

As the story begins bulldozers are waiting to reduce your house to rubble to make way for a motorway bypass. While you attempt to deal with this problem, your rather strange friend Ford Prefect drops by to tell you that the Earth is about to be demolished to make way for an interstellar bypass! If you survive this double threat, you'll embark on a series of inter-galactic misadventures even funnier than your worst nightmares!

A special note for people who have read the book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Although the opening of the game is fairly similar to the book, the story quickly diverges, with lots of new material and different twists. Although familiarity with the story may make a few of the early puzzles easier, if you rely too heavily on this previous knowledge you will certainly end up getting misled.

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
Development System: ZIL
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFIDs:  ZCODE-47-840914
ZCODE-56-841221
ZCODE-58-851002
ZCODE-59-851108
ZCODE-31-871119-410D
TUID: ouv80gvsl32xlion

Spoofed by Coke Is It!, by Lucian P. Smith, Adam Thornton, J. Robinson Wheeler, Michael Fessler, Dan Shiovitz, and David Dyte

Adventure Classic Gaming

The game is richly described, backed by an excellent forgiving parser, and more fun to play than you can shake a stick at. The only dark spot in an otherwise sterling effort is Adams' convoluted sense of logic, compounded by an unsatisfying ending. Other frustrations of the game owe more to the paradigm of game design from the early era of interactive fiction than anything Adams has done himself.

Gaming Enthusiast
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is notorious though for its difficulty level and generally being “mean” to the player.

The writing is some of Infocom's very best, which is fortunate because the game itself is a little too short (only The Witness and Seastalker have fewer locations). The atmosphere produced is almost exactly like that of the book, even if specific details of the plot are often changed. The puzzles (including the legendary Babel Fish puzzle) are based on a brand of "consistent illogic" that is rather reminiscent of Lewis Carroll, and make the game one of those few that many will some day play again even after having solved it once. Hitchhiker's is one of the more literate text games on the market, as you will often have to pay more attention to how things are worded than you might in other games.

[...] the game follows the book pretty closely in parts but, naturally, can't go into the same detail. It is worth reading the book as it will help with some parts of the adventure - of course, it's well worth reading the book anyway as it is so terrifically funny. But I think that even though the game is standard level, certain bits would be quite tricky to solve without the benefit of reading the book first.

This game was my introduction to Infocom adventures, and what an introduction. It took me two weeks to get past that bulldozer [...] (Kedenan)

I was a bit disappointed by the ending of HHGTTG which was rather abrupt and suddenly bumped your score up when you'd thought you still had a fair way to go. What was more of a shame was the lack of the promised follow-up. A good game, though, and certainly a 'must' for any fans of Douglas Adams. (Sue)

Evil, But Enjoyable, July 8, 2008
by Nathaniel Kirby (Pennsylvania)
Hitchhikers is one of those games at times so dastardly, so unfair, so evil, that it shouldn't be enjoyable to play. But thanks to the wonderfully enjoyable writing of Douglas Adams and Steve Meretzky, HHGTG is an enjoyable puzzle-fest.

Sure some of the puzzles take dieing and restarting to solve, others take immense amounts of obtuse logic to complete. Because of the difficulty, HHGTG is very fulfilling if you complete it. It's a must play for fans of a) Douglas Adams or b) Classic puzzle-laden Infocom IF.

Convoluted, but fun, November 15, 2007
by Michael R. Bacon (New Mexico)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was my first experience with IF, and it was very frustrating, but in a way that entertained me greatly. The game unforgivingly kills the player again and again for oversights so ridiculous that the player was obviously not expected to even guess at them until after dying. If that's not something you enjoy, the deliciously witty prose is worth the effort, even if you resort to using a walkthrough, step by step.

Great classic text adventure!, October 30, 2012
by yukonzach
Related reviews: H2G2 commands
This game brings back so many memories of college and friends trying to figure out how to beat it. For anyone who is now trying to play it on your smartphone, this site helped me tremendously with the commands that you can use in the game:

The biggie here is the command "RESTORE". This is the way you can load a previously saved game. I think I tried everything else under the sun to get my SAVEd game back.

I should try to find that box...I bet that "fluff" would go for big bucks on eBay now......

Enjoy!

If you enjoyed The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

People who like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also gave high ratings to these games:

Lost Pig, by Admiral Jota

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a magician's servant who gets trapped in your master's vault; you'll need to learn some of his tricks if you want to get out.

Sorcerer, by Steve Meretzky
Sorcerer, the second of a spellbinding fantasy series in the tradition of Zork, takes you on a magical tour through the darker side of Zorkian enchantment. Your journey begins with a cryptic diary - the last trace of the now-vanished...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Highly Recommended by Wendymoon
I like great writing, interesting characters, a little mystery, romance and sci-fi.

Some IF I recommend by RedTulip
These are some games I really liked. You should try them out. My first list.

Must try by Kku2611
I am new to IF and collect all of the recommended games under a list for future consulting.

The following polls include votes for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Good sci-fi games by IFDent
I'm looking for a good science fiction game (sci-fi game) for example, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. Can't get enough sci-fi text adventures.

Comfort Food IF by Molly
Lately I've been chasing away the blues by playing through my IF backlog. This made me wonder, what IF do you play as a pick-me-up? Maybe it's something that calms and soothes you, maybe it's really funny, or maybe it just distracts you...

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 17 September 2013 at 3:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item