Story File (IFArchive)

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Play This Thing!
(first loading the game)
The Nemean Lion is a super-tiny, super-easy interactive fiction. It's a comment on the form, in particular the relationship between player and game -- in its own way and medium not much different from You Have to Burn The Rope.

In general terms it's not an entirely new idea; at least a few games in the past have, for instance, implemented WIN GAME as an allowable command. It does, though, raise some thoughts about the nature of IF's interactions, interactions which have typically worked on a much more granular level than the interactions in some other forms of interactive storytelling.

A joke game toying with IF conventions, July 18, 2016
This is a tiny game, whose tininess is enhanced by the central joke, which is a commentary of sorts on actions and 'helping' features of interactive fiction.

The setting is ancient Greek myth and Heracles' labor with obtaining the skin of the name and lion. It can be finished in two moves.

Clever, September 1, 2009
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
For a game as short as this, quite clever. However, you might not understand the point of the game on your first play-through: the game's gimmick becomes clear only after certain input.

See Emily Short's and my posts for more discussion: http://playthisthing.com/nemean-lion , http://gamingphilosopher.blogspot.com/2009/09/nemean-lion.html .

An amusing joke, November 27, 2011
by Joey Jones (UK)
This isn't really a game, but a pretty funny joke on automated actions. I laughed. I already knew, from a forum post (Spoiler - click to show)http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3766&start=10 what the correct first command to try was. If I was playing it as if it were a proper game it might not have been so satisfying.

If you enjoyed The Nemean Lion...