Story file

The 12:54 to Asgard

by J. Robinson Wheeler profile

2010

Your mood is foul as you drive down to the studio in the middle of the night to fix a leak that's threatening to short circuit the entire studio. A chilling feeling haunts you tonight, and you feel pushed to the end of the line. Is this it, all there is?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2010
IFIDs:  29E1BECA-4CBD-4AA0-9255-D7EA85E6F109
ZCODE-1-100928-A416
TUID: yj7gf24jvpxq0kl

17th Place - 16th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2010)

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2010 XYZZY Awards

A deeply rewarding, but long and perhaps unfair, mythological game, February 3, 2016
Asgard is a game that I deeply enjoyed. The first part is not like the rest of the game; you play a deeply ticked-off repairman that has to fix a hole in a roof. This is an odd segment; there are dozens of items, a mood counter, and some small puzzles. But it turns out that you don't need to worry too much, you don't have to get everything right... yet.

But as the game suggests, you pass on to an afterlife that is a blend of Norse, Greek, and Judeochristian mythology. You have access to several areas, and an opportunity to revisit them on multiple occasions to get them right.

I had fun with this, getting 2 of the areas right on my own. After checking the walkthrough, I made it to another area with 8 subareas. By then, though, I was stuck using the walkthrough.

Overall, this game is pretty hard, and the best part is stuck after a less interesting intro. But I just loved it.

If you enjoyed The 12:54 to Asgard...

People who like The 12:54 to Asgard also gave high ratings to these games:

Ex Nihilo, by Juhana Leinonen
In the beginning there was nothing. From nothing light and darkness were born.

Mariel, by Michael Baltes
Nothing in this hospital is as usual. After a serious accident you have to figure out what happened and how to escape. Written to showcase the German library extension for Inform 7.

Eurydice, by Anonymous
A short game about grief, with occasional snakes.

The 12:54 to Asgard appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great religious and mythological games by MathBrush
My "Best Fantasy" list was growing too big, so I'm splitting off the religious, mythological, and afterlife games. Some games like Curses! have a lot of religious and mythological references, but this list focuses on games where it's the...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 2 October 2010 at 9:18pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item