wumpus.z5
IOCCC-1994-dodsond2.zip
entry in 1994 IOCCC
(Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
wumpus.bas

Cave Hunt 3D, by J.T Rawlinson and Jim Gerrie
Hunter, in Darkness, by Andrew Plotkin
Minotaur, by G. R. Jones
Wumpus 2000, by Muffy St. Bernard

A faithful rendering of the earliest known IF game--even earlier than Colossal Cave--ported to Inform; it became famous when Ahl included it in his book of Basic programs. Essentially, you're wandering through a network of numbered caves, looking for the Wumpus; when it's nearby, you'll smell it, and you can try to kill it by shooting into one of the caves that's near you. If you wander into the same cave as the Wumpus, you die. Other hazards include bats--which pick you up and dump you somewhere else--and pits, which kill you. The interface is rather primitive--you can shoot, move, or quit at any given time--but what did you expect in 1972? The main innovation in this port is that you can choose the design of the cave--Moebius strip, dodecahedron, etc. Not much of a game, but good for a nostalgia trip. The port was inspired by Andrew Plotkin's Hunter, in Darkness, an altogether novel take on the original.

-- Duncan Stevens

Good for an hour's amusement, April 11, 2012
by Dastari
Related reviews: IF History
A friend of mine recently convinced me to give IF a try, so I thought that I'd try at the beginning. The version of Hunt the Wumpus that I played is the port by Magnus Olsson. It allows you to choose from 5 different kinds of maps. The biggest challenge is the mapping. Once you have fully mapped the five possibilities then it is usually a trivial matter of avoiding the dangers and killing the Wumpus. While it is possible to lose based on some of the random elements of the game if you have the map then you will be able to win on the far majority of your playthroughs.

This game amused me for about an hour. After that it becomes repetitive and boring. For anyone interested in learning how IF works on a conceptual level this is a pretty good way of getting started, but I wouldn't recommend this game for any more than just a small diversion for someone who wants to work out a logic puzzle.

I gave the game 3 out of 5 stars based on my enjoyment. It did make me have to think out the puzzle, which I find enjoyable, and I did enjoy hunting the Wumpus a few times after I figured everything out but replayability is low and I can't imagine playing this game over and over again.

The Great-granddaddy of IF, November 13, 2008
by WriterBob (Richmond Hill, Ontario)
Here it is, restored in all its glory, "Hunt the Wumpus." Before Colossal Cave, there was Hunt the Wumpus. By today's standards it wouldn't even place in any IF competition. But, back in '72 it was the only piece of IF available, the first of its kind.

The interface is very limited. You can only shoot an arrow into an adjacent room, or move to an adjacent room.

The prose non-existent, consisting of the coordinates of the room you occupy and whether you sense a pit or a wumpus nearby.

Beyond the lethal pits and wumpus, there is only one other obstacle, the bat. The bat takes you and deposits you in a random location (which may contain either pit or wumpus.)

There is no exploration; there is no twist of plot; there are no revelations into the human condition. It is a simple game, one in which you either kill the wumpus or die. Still, as the great-granddady of IF, it deserves special consideration. All true adventurers should relish this piece of history.

If you enjoyed Hunt the Wumpus...

People who like Hunt the Wumpus also gave high ratings to these games:

my father's long, long legs, by michael lutz
A weird tale. Some parts make use of sound, so this game is best played with headphones. One ending.

The Space Under the Window, by Andrew Plotkin
A new, experimental game that has no puzzles but uses only words that change your focus on things, thereby adapting the story. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Galatea, by Emily Short
Emily Short's description: A conversation with a work of art. "47. Galatea. White Thasos marble. Non-commissioned work by the late Pygmalion of Cyprus. (The artist has since committed suicide.) Originally not an animate. The waking of...

Hunt the Wumpus appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Abuses of the IF engine by mjhayes
Although various interpreters were written to facilitate play and creation of interactive stories, it should be obvious that some people would find ways to write computer games using the various aspects of the interpreters.

This is version 1 of this page, last edited on 29 September 2007 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item