Story file
Map
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Luster

by Jared Smith

2011

In the outskirts of a deserted town, the adventurer carefully explores, looking for rare gems.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 60595D72-ECF8-416F-A6CE-1E5EAC9E76CC
TUID: vdyxd8z055riye0e

37th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Needs Polishing To Truly Shine, January 19, 2012
by Jonathan Blask (Milwaukee, WI, USA)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2011
Despite its capitalized objects and oddities, there's enough good things going on here that part of me almost thinks that an established author is having a laugh at us- trying to make his or her own version of, say, a Phoenix-type treasure hunt. The few puzzles I solved really did have a nice sense of accomplishment to them. Also, there is an odd sort of narrative going on (the protagonist has a past that we find out more about throughout the game).

Those nice things are dampened by shoddy implementation and a woeful lack of synoyms (I personally got hung up on (Spoiler - click to show)a goblet, some dye, and some unintuitive liquid management). I probably won't be giving this game another chance until an updated version comes out, but if one did, I'd definitely play it.

A buggy but fun game with a walkthrough/map that are almost better than the game, April 20, 2016
This game was one of the last place entries in IFComp the year it came out. It's a traditional treasure romp where you gather 4 gems and then put them in a museum.

It's buggy quite a bit; examining a sign can switch the room you're in, there's no way to get a "You've won" message, and some items have names like pedestal3.

Someone went through several years later and decompiled the game and wrote a walkthrough and made a map. The map and walkthrough are fascinating, and provide an interesting insight into game design.

Recommended (with its walkthrough) for those who are interested in writing games.

Luster on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Luster:

Kusoge of the IF Comp by Molly
From Hardcore Gaming 101: "Kusoge" (糞ゲー, or クソゲー) is a Japanese compound word - "kuso", meaning "garbage, crap, shit", and "ge", short for "geemu", the Japanese pronounciation of the word "game". It means, quite literally, "shit game"....

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Jason McIntosh on 23 March 2014 at 12:37am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item