bbn.gam

Bolivia By Night

by Aidan Doyle

Mystery/Fantasy/Travel
2005

A mystery adventure game set in Bolivia.

Language: English (en-GB)
IFID: TADS2-9609B737E6853363565FCF286EA58F50
TUID: u0e6pwz03097ijx6

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best NPCs - 2005 XYZZY Awards

2nd Place - Spring Thing 2005

The puzzles range from very easy to easy. Even those that border on clever are given direction through unprompted statements by your sidekick. [...] Again, due to the linear nature of the game, I didn't find any problem with following the storyline or deciding what I had to do next. I don't generally mind being pushed through a story but a little less of this would have suited my tastes more.
-- Eric Woods

The scenery feels right throughout: locations are never a chore to plough through simply looking for nouns to "examine". The writing is plain, simple and funny -- the author is thankfully not a frustrated poet trying to wow you with his turn of phrase. It's refreshingly down-to-earth. The characters feel alive (especially the TV chef and your chauvinistic colleague). The puzzles are just simple enough not to get in the way of the story, and entertaining enough to complement it. The whole thing is reasonably long (several hours' worth for an average player, divided into convenient chapters to allow for short spells of gaming), and the story could easily have come straight out of Robert Anton Wilson's ILLUMINATUS! trilogy of novels (a good thing).
-- "Niz"

A historical/cultural game with photographs that becomes more, February 3, 2016
Bolivia by Night surprised me on multiple levels, throughout the game. It begins with you as a reporter in a Bolivian city who has to interview different people, getting in some comic situations. The game has a lot of real photos included, as well as quotes about Bolivia.

Then, the game changes fundamentally, again and again. I don't think I can put into words how entertaining it was and how deeply different from the opening sequence.

The puzzles are very simple. Sometimes, though, it's just a guess-the-author's brain game. Many solutions rely on applying objects to to things that share common traits (for instance, if it were a fighting game, you would use a blue spear against a blue-eyed warrior). The hints section is well-done, and the game almost delights in guiding you through what to do.

Somehow, this game enchanted me.

If you enjoyed Bolivia By Night...

People who like Bolivia By Night also gave high ratings to these games:

Raik, by Harry Giles
A Scots fantasia about anxiety Featuring kelpies, lost keys, mysteriously-lit underground caverns, boring work, panic attacks and red hair. Raik is written in Scots, one of the languages of Scotland, with a full integrated translation...

If I Wasn't Shy, by Joey Jones
"I kinda just sit at the checkout, and the place isn't even all that busy. So why'd you want to play a game about my life? I mean, it's not terrible but it would be so much more if I wasn't shy." (Part of Apollo 18+20: The IF Tribute...

Leather Goddesses of Phobos, by Steve Meretzky
And now... the next exciting episode of humanoids in space! How did you, a regular at Joe's Bar in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, end up on a Martian moon? Can you prevent the hideous space creature from abducting the naked heiress? Why does...

Bolivia By Night appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

Favorite semi-linear games by MathBrush
These are games like Anchorhead where you have a large amount of freedom, but you can't always return to the beginning. Generally these games are divided into chapters or days, with each one like its own mini game.

Noteworthy Games Which Can't Be Played on iOS or the IFDB by Walter Sandsquish

The following polls include votes for Bolivia By Night:

Games with character creators/creation by cynical11
Basically, any game that features any kind of character creation system; but, the more in-depth, the better.

forgotten gems by Marius Müller
I'm looking for games that don't show up in the IF histories or recommended lists, for what reason whatsover. Old games that maybe weren't boundary-pushing or noteworthy, but still give you a fun play experience. If you ever thought...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Eq on 29 May 2013 at 7:01pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item