bbn.gam

Bolivia By Night

by Aidan Doyle

Mystery/Fantasy/Travel
2005

A mystery adventure game set in Bolivia.

Language: English (en-GB)
IFID: TADS2-9609B737E6853363565FCF286EA58F50
TUID: u0e6pwz03097ijx6

Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best NPCs - 2005 XYZZY Awards

2nd Place - Spring Thing 2005

The puzzles range from very easy to easy. Even those that border on clever are given direction through unprompted statements by your sidekick. [...] Again, due to the linear nature of the game, I didn't find any problem with following the storyline or deciding what I had to do next. I don't generally mind being pushed through a story but a little less of this would have suited my tastes more.
-- Eric Woods

The scenery feels right throughout: locations are never a chore to plough through simply looking for nouns to "examine". The writing is plain, simple and funny -- the author is thankfully not a frustrated poet trying to wow you with his turn of phrase. It's refreshingly down-to-earth. The characters feel alive (especially the TV chef and your chauvinistic colleague). The puzzles are just simple enough not to get in the way of the story, and entertaining enough to complement it. The whole thing is reasonably long (several hours' worth for an average player, divided into convenient chapters to allow for short spells of gaming), and the story could easily have come straight out of Robert Anton Wilson's ILLUMINATUS! trilogy of novels (a good thing).
-- "Niz"

A historical/cultural game with photographs that becomes more, February 3, 2016
Bolivia by Night surprised me on multiple levels, throughout the game. It begins with you as a reporter in a Bolivian city who has to interview different people, getting in some comic situations. The game has a lot of real photos included, as well as quotes about Bolivia.

Then, the game changes fundamentally, again and again. I don't think I can put into words how entertaining it was and how deeply different from the opening sequence.

The puzzles are very simple. Sometimes, though, it's just a guess-the-author's brain game. Many solutions rely on applying objects to to things that share common traits (for instance, if it were a fighting game, you would use a blue spear against a blue-eyed warrior). The hints section is well-done, and the game almost delights in guiding you through what to do.

Somehow, this game enchanted me.

If you enjoyed Bolivia By Night...

People who like Bolivia By Night also gave high ratings to these games:

All Things Devours, by half sick of shadows
From the game's about command: "All Things Devours is a short piece of interactive fiction, leaning strongly towards the text-adventure end of the spectrum. It explores an all-too-familiar science fiction paradigm in what I hope is a...

SPY INTRIGUE, by furkle
IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY AT SPY SCHOOL, AND YOU'RE READY TO COMMENCE A LIFE OF ESPIONAGE, TRADECRAFT, AND INTRIGUE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS, EVERY HUMAN EMPLOYEE DIED OF MUMPS JUST THE OTHER DAY. CAN YOU AND THE SOLE REMAINING EMPLOYEE, A...

A Good Wick, by Little Foolery
In a junction where the roads met on a flat lake, there was once a town called Pyre-on-the-Water, which experienced a thousand nights and no daylight between. We say there was once a town called Pyre-on-the-Water, because no such town...

Bolivia By Night appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Detective and mystery games by MathBrush
These are games where you play a detective or someone else investigating a mystery. Most of them are realistic games which I am splitting off of my realistic list. Some are more magical or science fi-ish.

Noteworthy Games Which Can't Be Played on iOS or the IFDB by Walter Sandsquish

Best superhero games by MathBrush
These are games featuring superheros, with my thoughts on them. I haven't tried the Frenetic Five games yet.

The following polls include votes for Bolivia By Night:

Games with character creators/creation by cynical11
Basically, any game that features any kind of character creation system; but, the more in-depth, the better.

forgotten gems by Marius Müller
I'm looking for games that don't show up in the IF histories or recommended lists, for what reason whatsover. Old games that maybe weren't boundary-pushing or noteworthy, but still give you a fun play experience. If you ever thought...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Eq on 29 May 2013 at 7:01pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item