Commercial game not available for download.

Suspended

by Michael Berlyn

1983

They said you would sleep for half a millennium - not an unreasonable length of time, considering you'd be in limited cryogenic suspension. Your body would rest at the planet's nerve center, an underground complex 20 miles beneath the surface. Your brain, they told you, would be wired to a network of computers; your mind would continue to operate at a minimal level, overseeing maintenance of surface-side equilibrium. And you would not awake, so they promised, until your 500 years had elapsed - barring, of course, the most dire emergency.

Then, and only then, you would be awakened to save your planet by strategically manipulating six robots, each of whom perceives the world differently. But such a catastrophe, you have been assured, could not possibly occur.

Good morning.

ZCODE-8-840521
ZCODE-8-840521-C123
TUID: t47hei9uq10xoar8

Gaming Enthusiast
The game is extremely difficult, but beating it brings unparalleled satisfaction.
-- Toddziak

It might be best not to think of Suspended as a work of Interactive Fiction at all. It is a pseudo-simulation game, written before software technology was developed enough to develop real simulation games. It is a game for frustrated would-be air traffic controllers who enjoy coordinating multiple activities from a central location, much more than it is a work of fiction. It is a game for people who like to play WITH games, not merely play them.
-- Graeme Cree

Only initially daunting, March 7, 2014
This game has a reputation as one of Infocom's most difficult, but I got on with it rather well. I think the premise scares people off, along with the fact that even experienced players need to absorb a lot of information from the manual before they can really start. But the game is straightforward and logical once you get past the initial hurdle, as long as you're attentive and unafraid of trial runs. For the record, I'm only talking about solving the puzzles and completing the game on the default difficulty--I'm sure Advanced mode and achieving the highest optimization rank is much harder (I made a few half-hearted optimization attempts, got a middling score, and called it a day).

With the premise of six robots that all have different senses, I was expecting to be sifting through cryptic output half the time, similar to Bad Machine, but it's not like that. Yeah, sometimes the robots will see things in different ways (or not see things at all), but their descriptions are quite human-friendly. In fact, sometimes it feels like their limited senses are more of an excuse to have sparse room descriptions. There really aren't that many objects in the facility for you to poke, pick up, or otherwise interact with. You won't be juggling dozens of inventory items in this game, another reason why the problem-solving stays manageable.

I have heard Suspended described as A Mind Forever Voyaging's endgame turned into a puzzle game proper, but the game I would say it is most similar to (though it predates both) is Varicella. Play sessions typically end badly for you within a couple hundred turns, but this is expected, as your initial task is to gather information using all the tools at your disposal. Once you get a sense of when, where, and why things are happening, then you can concern yourself with the positioning and timing required to bring the plan together. And of course somewhere along the way you have to figure out how to get past the trickier obstacles. In each case, it's a satisfying nut to crack.

I suppose I can't be too hard on an old Infocom game for this, but I should mention that Suspended does have some picky moments about which nouns and verbs you need to use. I never got stuck on them (whether by luck or persistence), but don't expect gentle nudging toward the right idea, or any feedback at all in some cases. Referring back to the manual can help.

If you enjoyed Suspended...

People who like Suspended also gave high ratings to these games:

In a Manor of Speaking, by Hulk Handsome
In a Manor of Speaking is a punny adventure set in the surreal world of Calembour. Journey through the bizarre Outlands, the bustling streets of Rudeville, and eventually find your way to the manor itself as you save the land by using...

Rogue of the Multiverse, by C.E.J. Pacian
Congratulations, convict 76954! You have been selected for scientific experimentation! You will be matter-transmitted to exotic non-Treaty worlds - where opportunities abound to take in fantastic sights and mingle with colourful locals!

I-0, by Anonymous
Stranded on Interstate Zero after your car broke down, you are miles away from the last sign of civilization. It's twenty minutes to noon and the temperature is well over 120F. It's beginning to look like you won't make it to your...

Suspended appears in the following Recommended Lists:

The Canonical Infocom Games by wfaulk
This is a list of the canonical Infocom games in order of release, as according to the Infocom Fact Sheet.

Must try by Kku2611
I am new to IF and collect all of the recommended games under a list for future consulting.

The following polls include votes for Suspended:

Most unique games by Jeremy Freese
Whatever else might be said about ___________, there's not another game like it.

Games with stupid player characters by murphy_slaw
I'm looking for games where the player character is significantly stupider and/or less observant than the average player - the kind of game where part of the challenge is making sense of the descriptions offered through the simplistic...

very hard games by aw1231
I am look for the hardest IF games ever.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 23 September 2013 at 2:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item