Confessions of an NPC

by Charles Hans Huang

Interview characters in a kingdom not unlike our own who face the problems of our generation.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2018
TUID: t2fk8mnve65hvlb

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2018

The people behind fantasy adventures, April 8, 2018
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: melancholic
This game is split into several vignettes of the player-character talking with several characters. These are often the peripheral roles in your classical fantasy adventure story: the people that make the story possible, but who rarely get any other role in the story. Characters like the mother of a villain, speculating what made him become that way; or a commoner, whos put his heroic days behind him.

Some might find this game preachy. Its monologue-heavy and quite topical - some of the topics it mentions have been at the forefront of the public mind in recent months, and appropriate content warnings are provided at the start of each vignette. Given that the player must read through at least five of the initial six vignettes to progress, though, it seems a little contradictory though.

A point of interest - each vignette ends with a binary value judgment, and you must explain yourself. It could either be gimmicky or thought-provoking, depending on how you view it.

Confessions is very linear, with a mixed bag of a setting - there are hexes and monarchies, mechas and chatrooms. Although there are several points which could put off a player looking for polished games, Confessions does still take a slightly unusual approach to fantasy adventure.

I feel like I missed Act One..., April 16, 2018
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
I appreciate the effort here and the writing and thought behind these characters studies which feel very "now" - but these are the kinds of revelations that are usually justified in turning us on our head after sucking the player into a "fun" fantasy world where we already have formed a worldview and have a basis of uninformed choices to build upon. Here, it feels we've skipped the revelatory turn (No! This fantasy world is our own!!!...!) and the game just handwaves all that.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 7 April 2018 at 8:33am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item