Competition version.
Facility Mapping Kit
A mapping template. Print this out so you can draw a map as you play.
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Inside the Facility

by Arthur DiBianca

Your friend Mike thinks no one can infiltrate THE FACILITY, but you're going to prove him wrong.

A light puzzle game. In the author's opinion, it's totally family-friendly.

(Make sure to look at the Facility Mapping Kit. It's not cheating -- it's intended for all players.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Development System: Inform
TUID: stsdri5zh7a4i5my

13th Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
"Inside the Facility" is very much a game rather than a story, a puzzle to be figured out. And it's been pared way down so that the only commands you really need are the four cardinal directions and the ability to wait a turn. On the one hand, this severely limits your ability to interact with the world; on the other hand, this is a game and those are the rules, and it's really more a case of redefining the way the game is played. Not "less", just "different".

Clever, funny, unashamed puzzler with reduced parser, November 16, 2016
by Robin Johnson (Scotland)
The only commands this game accepts are NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, WEST, WAIT, LOOK and STATUS, with actions like picking things up and giving them to NPCs triggered automatically. This is surprisingly effective, and the game contains a variety of puzzles of different types: lock and key, darkness, bribery, manipulate the NPC, figure out the machine, navigation.

I was initially put off by the request to print off a map to fill in as you go, but found it added to the fun, like solving a crossword, and there are certainly puzzles that would have been both harder and less enjoyable without it.

The author knows how to use brevity of writing to good effect – with such a large map, longer descriptions would have made the game more tiring. But they managed to squeeze every drop of clarity and characterisation out of the one-sentence descriptions. Some characters made me laugh or feel sorry for them, and some I took an instant dislike to.

A fun, simple exploration game, January 25, 2017
An interesting juxtaposition: a parser game with a fixed list of simple commands such that it could work fine with a twine interface or even something simpler, but with a focus on mapping and simple puzzles that gives it some of a classic text-adventure feel. Exploring and mapping the big space was fun, the puzzles were well-designed to be interesting without leaving the player lost, and the text, despite being somewhat minimal, had a nice light-hearted feel to it that gave the game a cheery atmosphere. All in all, a lot of fun.

If you enjoyed Inside the Facility...

People who like Inside the Facility also gave high ratings to these games:

The Statue Got Me High, by Ryan Veeder
Your job is to make sure John's party is successful. It won't be, though. Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project.

Castle of the Red Prince, by C.E.J. Pacian
Welcome to Amaranth, foreigner. The Red Prince haunts your dreams, you say? If you want to overthrow our tyrant, you’ll need to consider this whole blighted land at once. (Castle of the Red Prince is a small text adventure with a...

Tales of the Traveling Swordsman, by Mike Snyder
You are the traveling swordsman; the strong and silent stranger; the wandering vanquisher of villainy. Damsels swoon for you. Good men respect and envy you. Scoundrels learn to fear you. Even so, you are but a rumor throughout the land....

Inside the Facility appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

The following polls include votes for Inside the Facility:

Achievements, catch them all and other stuff. by Xionix
Looking for some IF with achievements, like, collect the 50 golden coins, or if you type 20 wrong commands you get the newbie achievement, or if you type "use hat in head" you get the "IF hater-to-be" achievement, well you get the idea.

Games where you can't screw up by Pinstripe
Sometimes, when I'm playing a game, I spend more time juggling my save files than I do reading the text. I don't want to have to restart because I picked up the green rod instead of the clay jug (with apologies to Zarf). So I'm looking...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by dibianca on 26 November 2016 at 3:30pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item