Playable with the Quest interpreter for Windows.
Game Guide
Invisiclues-style hints and walkthrough.

Eight characters, a number, and a happy ending

by K.G. Orphanides

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

As you wake to find yourself on the acceleration couch in Control, you can expect the muscle memory of your training to come back first: the product of intensive drills designed to prepare you for both combat and the stresses of command. The reintegration of your memory framework follows: your years at the academy and all that came before.

Finally, critical mission data will be directly encoded to your mind, giving you the most recent status reports available, for all that you weren't even aware of your own existence during the ship's long journey to this distant star.

This is what you trained for. This is what you are. So why don't you know what you're supposed to be doing here?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
Development System: Quest
TUID: ryn1fi2gz6nlo5b9

21st Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
One of the first things we're told is that there's been an error in the reimplantation of our memories, so part of the game is in exploring and rediscovering things about ourselves, our masters, and our mission. And then we can choose what we want to do about it. I liked this exploration and discovery aspect.

On a spaceship. On a mission you don't remember. On your own., December 9, 2016
by dgtziea
Related reviews: IF Comp 2016
Parser game, written in browser-based Quest (I've played only one Quest game before, but it's a good interface). More about exploration than puzzle-solving. The title might make you expect something sitcom-y, but that couldn't be more wrong; it's very much a sombre piece-together-the-backstory type of game. You wake up, memories lost, on a spaceship, and you go around and interact with things: computers, radios, things in drawers, and slowly, you REMEMBER. And you make a decision.

The writing conveys the clinical atmosphere of the ship well; I could imagine what it'd look like in a movie. The pace is slow, and unsettling. There is no danger, but there's a sense of eerie not-all-rightness. It's only you, picking through things; uncovering.

The morality at play here isn't exactly presented as a dilemma; it's pretty stacked towards a right and wrong decision. I might have liked a bit more nuance to the proceedings (The "EA" group seemed a bit too straightforward)? But the game isn't really about the decision you make, so much as the why.

I liked the pacing, and the way objects are carefully laid out to be discovered. It's just spread out and gated enough that it feels like you're exploring, even though it's a very contained space. There's also just enough on the ship to play around with that it felt rewarding interacting with all the on-board systems, while also establishing the technological surroundings (I do wonder if there's a better way than dumping a bunch of manuals in the starting room). Everything felt deliberate, so it made me want to be more deliberative.

If you enjoyed Eight characters, a number, and a happy ending...

People who like Eight characters, a number, and a happy ending also gave high ratings to these games:

Sparkle, by Juhana Leinonen (as Karly Di Caprio)
My search for the Pattern has brought me to Mount Shanshan. Now it's just a matter of a short cable car ride up to the top.

Terminator Chaser, by Bruno Dias
Cycle 87. Last work shift of the quarter. And you're left behind to tidy up so the rest of the crew has time to settle into the new site. Make sure Mining Site 43 won't be a half-melted wreck by the time the next crew comes around, once...

Toby's Nose, by Chandler Groover
A murder most foul has been committed and Sherlock Holmes is on the case. You are his dog.

Eight characters, a number, and a happy ending appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 2:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item