creak, creak

by chandler groover profile

"You have to look."

111 words.
Made for Porpentine's Twiny Jam.

First Publication Date: April 5, 2015
TUID: oe1ttzjxlidq4hst

Entrant - Twiny Jam

Excellent microgame, May 10, 2015
I learned that this is an entry for a micro-writing contest, where all entries must be 300 words or less. Given that my only issue was the length, I am giving this five stars for the format that it is intended for.

**Original review**
This is not so much a game as it is a way of presenting a short, scary story. It is very-well crafted while it lasts, but there are only one or two real choices in the game, and they don't make a large difference.

I want to be clear that the game is exceptionally well developed and put together--but I expect that most people playing interactive fiction are looking for something much longer than this.

Tiny creepy Twine, January 8, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
In recent months Chandler Groover has produced quite a number of unusual works, with quite a few edging into horror territory. creak, creak is a Twine work written for Twiny Jam which bears some similarities to Tailypo, another of Groover's works.

Something is creaking in the house. Your mother always said it's just the wind. You can't leave it at that. You have to look.

Groover uses timed appearance of text and various transitions to pace out the story, to great effect here. I found myself with a creeping sense of dread as I waited for the text to appear. The writing style is simple and some of the rhyming lines give the sense of a child's nursery rhyme - making the monster a creature of a child's nightmares, a la The Badabook.

This game may be a baby sibling of more full-fledged horror games, but creak, creak packs quite a punch and works well for such a constrained format.

Probably just the wind.., April 11, 2015
by Secret Weapon Coffee (Christmas Island)
A two star rating? Ahhuhhhh.. no, I really don't think so..

This game was a nice surprise for me because I'm a fan of untangled sequencing and writers with the discipline to also be effective editors. The stylistic methods I recognized were employed well, from a structural standpoint this is a very tidy project, obviously exploiting use of the reader's capacity for imagination with the conservative descriptions. Pace, suspense and atmosphere are three concepts this game conveys particularly well and the bare writing emphasizes their importance. Overall an intelligent and deliberate project concentrated into something short, sweet and significant in spite of how few materials it required to construct.

I like this. I appreciate what the text choses not to say which isn't something I often get to enjoy. I've looked at a couple of other pieces of your work and the quality seems pretty promising, so hopefully you'll share some other projects in the future with us!

If you enjoyed creak, creak...

Other members recommend these games for people who like creak, creak, or gave both high ratings:

You are Standing at a Crossroads, by Astrid Dalmady
You are Standing at a Crossroads is a short Twine story about being lost, being changed, and being stagnant.

Beneath Floes, by Kevin Snow, Pinnguaq
Qikiqtaaluk, 1962. The sun falls below the horizon and won't return for months. You wander the broken shoreline, wary of your mother's stories about the qalupalik. Fish woman, stealer of wayward children: she dwells beneath the ice....

Goldilocks is a FOX!, by J. J. Guest
Staggering back from yet another wild student party, blonde bombshell Goldilocks decides to take a shortcut through the enchanted forest. All she really wants is a nice hot bowl of porridge and somewhere to sleep off her hangover - but...

creak, creak appears in the following Recommended Lists:

"My apartment" games by MathBrush
It's a trope in interactive fiction that first time author's tend to model their own home or apartment in detail as an experiment in programming. To see if this trope is true, I've created a list of 'my apartment' games. Because in most...

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

The following polls include votes for creak, creak:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible writing of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by CMG on 15 April 2015 at 9:55am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item