Game File
Play on the Internet with a browser, or download for use with a TADS Web UI-compatible interpreter - visit www.tads.org for interpreter downloads.

Wuthering Heights

by Jonah Siegel

TUID: n58yvwb6nbsy8g5q

The word “heathcliff” is not necessary in this story, April 4, 2012
by Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.)
It's been a very long time since I read Wuthering Heights; I can remember the names Heathcliff and Catherine and little else. So I was worried that my faded memories of the book might limit my enjoyment of the game. They didn't.

That's because there's no game here. There's hardly anything at all, as far as I can tell. No takeable objects, no NPCs, no puzzles, nothing. You can wander through seven rooms, examine the few objects which the author took the time to implement, observe the numerous misspellings, and then quit. There are a half-dozen locked doors, but no keys, and the game does not understand the word "door" at any rate. The only ending appears to be in response to examining the dog (I won't even dignify that with a spoiler tag). The help text encourages the player to "find all of the mansion's hidden secrets!". They must be awfully well-hidden.

I don't understand why the game was posted to IFDB in this state.

The word “heathcliff” is not necessary in this story, and why should it be?, April 4, 2012

That's because this is the greatest game ever. It demonstrates the perfection of simplicity. There's hardly anything at all, as far as I can tell. No takeable objects, no NPCs, no puzzles, nothing. You can wander through seven wonderful rooms, examine the few objects which the author took his precious time to implement, observe the superb grammar and spelling usage, and then, reluctantly, quit. There are a half-dozen locked doors, but no keys, and the game does not understand the word "door" at any rate. There can be something said about the philosophical meaning here. The only ending appears to be in response to examining the dog (Spoiler: you get bitten). The help text encourages the player to "find all of the mansion's hidden secrets!". What a great game!

I don't understand why more games like this aren't posted to IFDB in this state.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zibeon on 26 March 2012 at 3:42am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item