Delusns.z5
solution

Delusions

by C. E. Forman

1996

"A trip into virtual reality: all begins with debugging a VR system, but then things get out of hand. Who is Morrodox, what has he to do with your colleagues, and what is going on?" [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

IFIDs:  ZCODE-2-961021-1555
ZCODE-4-971121-6543
TUID: m85rnpq6x77jyzc3

Nominee, Best Story - 1996 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place - 2nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1996)

Honorable Mention - The Top Five IF Games (Adventure Gamers, 2002)

Head games galore in this one. You're working in a Virtual Reality lab, helping to debug the next generation of sim technology, until a suave stranger forces you to confront the creeping air of inconsistency that's been in the corner of your consciousness. A dark one, with surprises up to the end, one of the coolest villains I've seen in a long time, and some quite impressive feats of Inform programming. The structure is unusual, with a nightmarishly looping midgame that resembles its frame in form but not in content. The puzzles are all clever, although a bit obscure towards the end. Has a built-in hint menu.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

One thing about C.E. Forman's Delusions that can't possibly be denied is that it's got plot. Boy, has it got plot--several stories' worth, at least. If your head isn't spinning by the end of it (for that matter, by the time the first few twists come long), you missed a lot and you should go back and replay it. Moreover, the plot takes on a variety of guises along the way--part science experiment, part techno-thriller, part mystery (well, sort of), part, um, metaphysical-technological thesis, etc. If there's one thing Delusions isn't, it's predictable.
-- Duncan Stevens a.k.a. Second April

If you're willing to overlook the basic lack of originality, the tedious (to my mind) morality bits and the fact that the bad guy talks far too much, it's a well written and competently programmed game. The "Big revelation" doesn't come as too much of a surprise if you've been paying attention to what's going on, but that's a good thing rather than a bad one.
-- Matthew Garrett

Adventure Gamers
[...] undoubtedly will remain on the mind of the player well after it is completed.
-- Evan Dickens

Well-crafted but difficult science fiction game about reality, February 3, 2016
This classic game is exceptionally well-written and implemented, together with a well-done hint system.

The game features a pretty small playing area that is packed with objects and several NPCs that take interesting actions.

The game is hard, and I had to rely on hints much of the time. The puzzles require creative uses of a large number of objects gathered from different areas, and some large leaps of intuition.

The plot is about the nature of reality, and it has several mind-benders, which is why I am not describing it as much.

If you enjoyed Delusions...