For Mac, Linux and other systems.
Windows Installer
Contains EverybodyDies.exe
Includes everything you need for playing on Windows.
WinGlulxe Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
original competition entry

Everybody Dies

by Jim Munroe

It starts with a metalhead, Graham, realizing that throwing that shopping cart over the bridge was not the great idea he thought it was. Even if it did get him out of washroom duty at Cost Cutters.

Illustrated by Michael Cho.

Took third place at IFComp 2008 (2nd place for Miss Congeniality.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2008
IFID: EF7CFE1C-7529-11DD-B6E6-0016EC35A9FA
TUID: lyblvftb8xtlo0a1

3rd Place overall; 2nd Place, Miss Congeniality Awards - 14th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2008)

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual PC; Nominee, Best Use of Medium - 2008 XYZZY Awards

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Play This Thing!
Everybody Dies is a short, sharp interactive story -- with illustrations. It's got lots going for it, and it just took third place in the yearly interactive fiction competition. You should definitely play.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
IF Competition Review for Everybody Dies
I really like this. This is a tight game. The writing is snappy ó Iím reminded of Sherwin here and there, as it shares a Sherwinesque interest in the lifestyles of the poor and not-that-glamorous. But itís distinctly its own thing. The viewpoint characters have personality. The illustrations are stylish and good. High production values there. Puzzles are pretty easy but manage to be interesting anyway, because they mostly have to do with tense or personally-charged situations. And the implementation is excellent; perhaps itís telling that this game boasts eighteen beta-testers. All in all, itís a piece that feels assured about what itís trying to achieve.

Jump in, the water's warm, February 1, 2012
by DCBSupafly (USA)
Author Jim & Illustrator Michael have gone to great lengths to make Everybody Dies an enjoyable experience for anyone across the (wide) spectrum of IF players.

For the hardcore, there's at least a minimum amount of puzzling to be had, and deep enough implementation. For the IF newbie, puzzles are mostly simple, building in complexity to the end, and stopping short of hand-holding, it won't let you lose. There is a wonderful lack of the empty, static, unpopulated feelings so prevalent in many classic adventures; There are changing landscapes, interactions with other characters, humor, and occasionally a little emotion.

In terms of accessibility, it's Mac & Linux playable and if you're a Windows user and wondering what an interpreter even is then grab the .exe. It's ready to go!

Accessibility alone is no reason to play IF, but this one has interesting characters, engrossing story-telling, beautiful illustrations, and Canadian slang! I especially appreciate the game's ability to instill a sense of urgency and high stakes without rushing or punishing me at all!

Complaints? Some of the changes I made to my surroundings weren't noticed by the multitude of narrative voices. With the .exe player, you can't scroll up. So, really, negligible stuff.

Definitely play it!

A stunning example of multimedia IF, January 2, 2009
by Molly (USA)
In Everybody Dies, you play as three different people who've (Spoiler - click to show)died in some way, and the point of the game becomes the (Spoiler - click to show)prevention of their deaths. One of the best parts of Everybody Dies are the graphics, which in parts of the game serve as a visual metaphor to go along with the action. However, if that were the only thing to recommend about Everybody Dies the game would be stale indeed. The writing of the player characters is funny and vivid, and their differing perspectives give much flavor to the game. Well recommended.

Fun multiple perspective game., January 5, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
This was a neat little game to play. It was engaging without lavish settings or detailed backstories. You truly cared about making things right with what information there was.

The puzzles were simple and straightforward, I only got stuck once. They could've been more complex, but it fit. The simplicity didn't detract from the game.

I like how author presented multiple personalities at once. I won't give anything away, but it was entertaining to see the other characters' take on inventory and such.

Overall, nice little game, I enjoyed it! My only addition would be an epilogue where they all go out for coffee after everything is over. I would like to see that.

If you enjoyed Everybody Dies...