For Mac, Linux and other systems.
Windows Installer
Contains EverybodyDies.exe
Includes everything you need for playing on Windows.
WinGlulxe Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
EverybodyDies.gblorb
original competition entry
EverybodyDies.sol
Walkthrough

Everybody Dies

by Jim Munroe

2008

It starts with a metalhead, Graham, realizing that throwing that shopping cart over the bridge was not the great idea he thought it was. Even if it did get him out of washroom duty at Cost Cutters.

Illustrated by Michael Cho.

Took third place at IFComp 2008 (2nd place for Miss Congeniality.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2008
IFID: EF7CFE1C-7529-11DD-B6E6-0016EC35A9FA
TUID: lyblvftb8xtlo0a1

3rd Place overall; 2nd Place, Miss Congeniality Awards - 14th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2008)

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual PC; Nominee, Best Use of Medium - 2008 XYZZY Awards

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Play This Thing!
Everybody Dies is a short, sharp interactive story -- with illustrations. It's got lots going for it, and it just took third place in the yearly interactive fiction competition. You should definitely play.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
IF Competition Review for Everybody Dies
I really like this. This is a tight game. The writing is snappy ó Iím reminded of Sherwin here and there, as it shares a Sherwinesque interest in the lifestyles of the poor and not-that-glamorous. But itís distinctly its own thing. The viewpoint characters have personality. The illustrations are stylish and good. High production values there. Puzzles are pretty easy but manage to be interesting anyway, because they mostly have to do with tense or personally-charged situations. And the implementation is excellent; perhaps itís telling that this game boasts eighteen beta-testers. All in all, itís a piece that feels assured about what itís trying to achieve.

A stunning example of multimedia IF, January 2, 2009
by Molly (USA)
In Everybody Dies, you play as three different people who've (Spoiler - click to show)died in some way, and the point of the game becomes the (Spoiler - click to show)prevention of their deaths. One of the best parts of Everybody Dies are the graphics, which in parts of the game serve as a visual metaphor to go along with the action. However, if that were the only thing to recommend about Everybody Dies the game would be stale indeed. The writing of the player characters is funny and vivid, and their differing perspectives give much flavor to the game. Well recommended.

Jump in, the water's warm, February 1, 2012
by DCBSupafly (USA)
Author Jim & Illustrator Michael have gone to great lengths to make Everybody Dies an enjoyable experience for anyone across the (wide) spectrum of IF players.

For the hardcore, there's at least a minimum amount of puzzling to be had, and deep enough implementation. For the IF newbie, puzzles are mostly simple, building in complexity to the end, and stopping short of hand-holding, it won't let you lose. There is a wonderful lack of the empty, static, unpopulated feelings so prevalent in many classic adventures; There are changing landscapes, interactions with other characters, humor, and occasionally a little emotion.

In terms of accessibility, it's Mac & Linux playable and if you're a Windows user and wondering what an interpreter even is then grab the .exe. It's ready to go!

Accessibility alone is no reason to play IF, but this one has interesting characters, engrossing story-telling, beautiful illustrations, and Canadian slang! I especially appreciate the game's ability to instill a sense of urgency and high stakes without rushing or punishing me at all!

Complaints? Some of the changes I made to my surroundings weren't noticed by the multitude of narrative voices. With the .exe player, you can't scroll up. So, really, negligible stuff.

Definitely play it!

Cool Game, May 1, 2012
I played this game and was amazed by the graphics that went along with it!

I found it fun and interesting to play through. In the game (I'm not sure if this is much of a spoiler but) (Spoiler - click to show) everybody dies and then you have to stop that from happening. It was great

If you enjoyed Everybody Dies...

People who like Everybody Dies also gave high ratings to these games:

Bee, by Emily Short
The story of a home-schooled girl preparing to compete in the national spelling bee, dealing with various small crises with family and friends, and gradually coming to terms with the clash of subcultures involved in belonging to a family...

So Far, by Andrew Plotkin
Sitting in a cramped theatre, irritated that your partner apparently hasn't turned up, you are strangely intrigued by a current of air. It will lead you to a place very different from your own familiar surroundings... [--blurb from The...

Animals, by David Fisher
A logic/observation puzzle game, inspired by the word game "my very eccentric Aunt". Four difficulty levels. An entry in the C-40 competition, which required games to be at most 40K in size. Definitely not IF!

Everybody Dies appears in the following Recommended Lists:

FicÁ„o interativa by Emily Short
IF presented so far at the 13™ Jornada Nacional de Literatura in Passo Fundo, 2009. These works were chosen for a variety of reasons: to illustrate the history of interactive fiction, to teach new players how to interact, to demonstrate...

My Favourite Literary IF by Janos Honkonen
These are my favourite games which I consider to be more story than puzzle based.

Started But Unfinished Games by GameDesigner
These are games that I started and never got around to finishing. I intend to finish them one at at time.

The following polls include votes for Everybody Dies:

Artistic Games by WriterBob
I'm interested in games that take the fiction of IF to new levels. These are not straightforward, plot driven games. Think instead of games that play like poetry, or games that focus on a character's revelation.

Diversity in IF by The Xenographer
Most English-language IF that's set in something resembling the real world seems to deal with vaguely WASP-y types in the US, the UK, Australia, or Canada. What are some works that explore different settings from these and/or characters...

Games that show everyday life by Sam Jackson
I'm looking for preferably short games that focus on part of someone's life in our world and preferably our time. I would like games with an emotional focus.

This is version 16 of this page, edited by OtisTDog on 29 January 2011 at 6:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item