Everybody Dies

by Jim Munroe

A short, illustrated grungy story about intertwined fates, August 6, 2016
This game won 3rd place in the IFComp the year it was entered, and is one of the shortest games to ever make the top 3. It has quite a few illustrations in it in a comics style.

As a content warning, this game has 3 parts, and the first part is full of large amounts of strong profanity and a general sort of vague nastiness. It made me put of this game for a long time, and I don't intend to play again.

Besides that, the game is very well written, with strong characterization and clever interaction. You play as 3 distinct PCs whose fates revolve around a small store called Cost Cutters. Each character gets 1 or 2 short scenarios where you are given strong guidance, until the final scenario where you have a tight time schedule (with infinite chances to retry) and a more difficult puzzle.

Fun multiple perspective game., January 5, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
This was a neat little game to play. It was engaging without lavish settings or detailed backstories. You truly cared about making things right with what information there was.

The puzzles were simple and straightforward, I only got stuck once. They could've been more complex, but it fit. The simplicity didn't detract from the game.

I like how author presented multiple personalities at once. I won't give anything away, but it was entertaining to see the other characters' take on inventory and such.

Overall, nice little game, I enjoyed it! My only addition would be an epilogue where they all go out for coffee after everything is over. I would like to see that.

Cool Game, May 1, 2012
I played this game and was amazed by the graphics that went along with it!

I found it fun and interesting to play through. In the game (I'm not sure if this is much of a spoiler but) (Spoiler - click to show) everybody dies and then you have to stop that from happening. It was great

Jump in, the water's warm, February 1, 2012
by DCBSupafly (USA)
Author Jim & Illustrator Michael have gone to great lengths to make Everybody Dies an enjoyable experience for anyone across the (wide) spectrum of IF players.

For the hardcore, there's at least a minimum amount of puzzling to be had, and deep enough implementation. For the IF newbie, puzzles are mostly simple, building in complexity to the end, and stopping short of hand-holding, it won't let you lose. There is a wonderful lack of the empty, static, unpopulated feelings so prevalent in many classic adventures; There are changing landscapes, interactions with other characters, humor, and occasionally a little emotion.

In terms of accessibility, it's Mac & Linux playable and if you're a Windows user and wondering what an interpreter even is then grab the .exe. It's ready to go!

Accessibility alone is no reason to play IF, but this one has interesting characters, engrossing story-telling, beautiful illustrations, and Canadian slang! I especially appreciate the game's ability to instill a sense of urgency and high stakes without rushing or punishing me at all!

Complaints? Some of the changes I made to my surroundings weren't noticed by the multitude of narrative voices. With the .exe player, you can't scroll up. So, really, negligible stuff.

Definitely play it!

Achingly pointless, April 19, 2010
by Andreas Teufel (Poland)
no need to waste any more time on this stinker, boring setting, lame-ass characters, non-story, inadequately explored fantasy elements (which is enough for a 1 in my book most of the time, yet a staple for some reason), people SHOOTING you for NO REASON (I mean he's a sith, ahem sikh, he's SUPPOSED to have a dagger at all times), no deeper meaning, but that's a staple as well, I barely need to mention that

pass this one, for your own sake

A stunning example of multimedia IF, January 2, 2009
by Molly (USA)
In Everybody Dies, you play as three different people who've (Spoiler - click to show)died in some way, and the point of the game becomes the (Spoiler - click to show)prevention of their deaths. One of the best parts of Everybody Dies are the graphics, which in parts of the game serve as a visual metaphor to go along with the action. However, if that were the only thing to recommend about Everybody Dies the game would be stale indeed. The writing of the player characters is funny and vivid, and their differing perspectives give much flavor to the game. Well recommended.