Story file
in RTF format

A Quiet Evening at Home

by Anonymous

2010

They say you should write what you know. Sorry.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2010
IFID: 0E8D3B24-281E-404C-AB00-830BB3AADBB3
TUID: lb83txad7m8ixpb6

25th Place - 16th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2010)

Plain, sugar-free, no-fat, whipped-creamless, slice of life., October 20, 2010
by Danielle (The Wild West)
Related reviews: ifcomp 2010
OK, so really it's more of a programming test. You get home, you have to do some things, then shut down your house for the night before you go to bed.

Now, I haven't programmed my own IF game, but I've dabbled in it a few times and, you know, I've got to give Anonymous credit for finishing and releasing this thing.

It's competent. The parser replies aren't *too* snarky, there are "reminder" texts that occur to help keep you on-track and towards your goal. There's even a cute hamster.

My main complaint was that, in order to solve (Spoiler - click to show)"taking out the trash", you had to go to a section that is (to my memory) never mentioned in any other room's description. I mean, I searched for that (Spoiler - click to show)trash can for over 20 minutes, and I don't even think there are 5 rooms in the entire house. It was a very annoying problem that could have been fixed with just one line of description.

So it's probably not a game most need to play.

But I still want to give the author kudos. Kudos for producing this. You did it! You finished a whole game.

A Coding Exercise, April 14, 2013
The title made me suspect that this is Yet Another Apartment or House Game.

Then I thought that perhaps the author was playing a Deep Game. Perhaps the author was trying to lure me in. "Mwuhahahaha! I will make 'em all think this is a crappy apartment or house game when in fact it is anything BUT that!" cackled the anonymous author. Yes, perhaps I was just a pawn, falling into anonymous' trap...

What's this? (Spoiler - click to show)Then I started getting persistent and uncapitalized messages about how I really need to unlock my house before i wet my pants?

Yes, this author was playing a very Deep Game.

>unlock door with copper key
You unlock the front door.
gotta go! gotta go!

>pee self

>urinate

>relax

>release urinary sphincter
That's not a verb I recognize.

So, ultimately, this really is just a crappy apartment game, albeit with a twist.

It would really be great if people would stop entering coding exercises into the IF Comp.

A tedious game about getting ready for bed, April 19, 2016
This game has a well-simulated house. The writing has many typos and grammar errors. You have to go pee, eat food, play with your hamster, and follow various other urgent needs.

This gets tedious eventually. The puzzles are unnecessarily fiddly in many places.

This game came in the bottom half of the ifcomp the year it came out.

A Quiet Evening at Home on IFDB

A Quiet Evening at Home appears in the following Recommended Lists:

"My apartment" games by MathBrush
It's a trope in interactive fiction that first time author's tend to model their own home or apartment in detail as an experiment in programming. To see if this trope is true, I've created a list of 'my apartment' games. Because in most...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 3 October 2010 at 10:39am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item