augustin.gam

Augustine

by Terrence V. Koch

Historical/Travel
2002

St. Augustine, Florida is a city rich in history. Touted as the Oldest City in the United States, tourists flock to her to learn something of the nation's earliest settlers and get a sense of what life was like in the past. But there is another side of St. Augustine that reveals itself when the sun goes down. It is a city steeped in legends of the supernatural, as evidenced by the many ghost tours that are offered along the city streets.

While on one of these tours you realize that the many stories are more than legends, they are chronicles of events that hold personal significance for you. In fact, your seemingly innocent decision to take the tour sets off a chain of events that trigger painful memories for you, endangers the life of an attractive tour guide, and brings you face to face with an ancient enemy. Will questions that have haunted you for years be answered? Will an ancient curse be lifted? Will a 600-year-old conflict be resolved? These are questions you hope to find answers for tonight . . . in Augustine!

Baf's Guide ID: 1905
IFID: TADS2-F41C9551418431364E7B33E1E6BB3E72
TUID: k1mnicn3bbctmfgm

Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting - 2002 XYZZY Awards

13th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

The game alternates between the present and flashbacks with a few lengthy cut scenes. By the end, I felt like I had participated in a story, which is, to me, the whole purpose of interactive fiction. Granted, the story isn't perfect, especially in terms of spelling and bugs. There are several spelling and grammar problems as well as some parser quirks. Yet, when I played, I found myself overlooking a lot of this. [...] I give a lot of leeway to an author who attempts to tell a story as complex as this in such a short game.
-- Adam Myrow

When I came to the part of "Augustine" where the player character takes a guided tour of the city of the game's title, I immediately recognized what had been vaguely bothering me about the game up to that point. The guided tour is not just a major chunk of the game's plot; it's at the heart of the game's design. The entire game is, in a way, a guided tour, and has some of the good and bad features of any guided tour.
-- Mike Roberts

Augustine is clearly a well-intentioned, sincere work of IF, and it's clearly the product of a substantial amount of work. Just as obviously, it is the work of a novice author, and its flaws are hard to ignore. Consequently, my reactions to it were mixed.

An extended Highlander-like parser game with great story, on rails, February 3, 2016
Augustine was nominated for an XYZZY for best story and best setting. It shows; the story is really intriguing, about two figures who battle each other in different guises throughout the ages.

You and a warlock from the 1300s are doomed to live until one defeats the other. You pass back and forth between modern times and ancient times through flashbacks, learning much about St. Augustine's history (I don't know how much was real, and how much made up for this game).

The writing is iffy and the implementation is definitely buggy, playing cutscenes in the wrong rooms or order. I didn't really like this game at first, but two things made me end up liking it: the story really is compelling, going in unexpected directions; and the combat system is really fun (although I had to UNDO a lot the first time). The final fight in particular was very exciting.

Recommended for those who can excuse spotty implementation/writing for the sake of a good tale.

If you enjoyed Augustine...