Competition version.
Download files
Index of files and subdirectories to download.
Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Pogoman GO!

by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman

The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you donít have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
License: Creative Commons
Development System: Inform
IFID: F346F28D-E369-4833-9FE7-960D22FA8890
TUID: hc6dudpdc9i2pmja

6th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The parody element is strong. There's also a strong sense of satire as we explore the corporate headquarters of the game in our efforts to be made a beta-tester, which is, of course, every gamer's dream. The puzzles we hit in our explorations are phrased as tests we must pass before the company--and Elon Musk--will consider us for the beta-testing career. They're not bad ... something of a break from the randomised battle and resource management (albeit very forgiving randomised battle and resource management) of the parts surrounding it.

Great game! So entertaining, I played it through in one sitting., April 18, 2017
"Pogoman GO! Review" by A Guy Who's Never Played Anything Ending in GO!

When play begins:
The player is collecting Pogomen, (Spoiler - click to show)spinning pogostops, and hitting the gyms until enough attributes are built up to begin the next part of the game, which is when the feeling that you may as well be playing Pogoman subsides, and the real IF begins. (It's not that the beginning isn't actually IF; it actually is, but the game is so well-written, it feels like you are actually doing whatever you're 'doing' in the game. Hence, the first part feels like you're not playing IF in the classic sense, even though you definitely, totally are.)

When 'Act Two' begins:
Now the player is (Spoiler - click to show)in Nyantech, and it's time to use your brain (rejoice!) to learn how to get around as well as how to (Spoiler - click to show)get different colored badges. You (Spoiler - click to show)actually fight some Pogomen in one part, where you are eventually the one whom is in danger of being captured! (There are at least two storylines as far as escaping from this section is concerned, as well, so pay attention!)

In the third act, the player (Spoiler - click to show)has to fight two boss battles, then the player (Spoiler - click to show)chooses from numerous endings.

Act Three ends when the player has finished reading this review.

When Act Three ends:
End the review saying "You have (Spoiler - click to show)done the thing or the other thing! You enjoyed the game, and completed it(Spoiler - click to show) every way (except one! AARGH!) that you believe was possible. Now, you'll review the game, and probably play again tomorrow to see what you missed the first time. YOU HAVE WON!".

Clever take on Pokemon, October 25, 2016
Sharp, well-written, and packed with humorous moments. I didn't finish this game due to time constraints, but enjoyed it very much; I will pick it up again when I get the chance.

I found the actual mechanics of capturing pokemon--and seeing my medals, trophies, and XP go up--as engaging as trying to follow the narrative and plot.

Pokecraze satire, October 23, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
This is not interactive fiction. It is a humorous satire of an immensely shallow mobile game/spyware that took the world by storm a few months ago and that pretty much faded into oblivion ever since. And while I did enjoy the satire aspect and humor very much, it still plays out just as shallowly and repetitive as the game it took for inspiration, so I just couldn't bother to go on and catch'em all let alone go into the Nyantech HQs and do whatever it was supposed to happen.

Didn't like that excuse for a game, didn't dig this excuse for an IF. :)

perhaps I'm missing something extra, like in Cadre's Nameless, Endless? if so, I may well revise it, but I won't hold my breath...

OK, REVISION PENDING

If you enjoyed Pogoman GO!...