Competition version.
Download files
Index of files and subdirectories to download.
Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Pogoman GO!

by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman

The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you donít have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
License: Creative Commons
Development System: Inform
IFID: F346F28D-E369-4833-9FE7-960D22FA8890
TUID: hc6dudpdc9i2pmja

6th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The parody element is strong. There's also a strong sense of satire as we explore the corporate headquarters of the game in our efforts to be made a beta-tester, which is, of course, every gamer's dream. The puzzles we hit in our explorations are phrased as tests we must pass before the company--and Elon Musk--will consider us for the beta-testing career. They're not bad ... something of a break from the randomised battle and resource management (albeit very forgiving randomised battle and resource management) of the parts surrounding it.

Clever take on Pokemon, October 25, 2016
Sharp, well-written, and packed with humorous moments. I didn't finish this game due to time constraints, but enjoyed it very much; I will pick it up again when I get the chance.

I found the actual mechanics of capturing pokemon--and seeing my medals, trophies, and XP go up--as engaging as trying to follow the narrative and plot.

Pokecraze satire, October 23, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
This is not interactive fiction. It is a humorous satire of an immensely shallow mobile game/spyware that took the world by storm a few months ago and that pretty much faded into oblivion ever since. And while I did enjoy the satire aspect and humor very much, it still plays out just as shallowly and repetitive as the game it took for inspiration, so I just couldn't bother to go on and catch'em all let alone go into the Nyantech HQs and do whatever it was supposed to happen.

Didn't like that excuse for a game, didn't dig this excuse for an IF. :)

perhaps I'm missing something extra, like in Cadre's Nameless, Endless? if so, I may well revise it, but I won't hold my breath...

OK, REVISION PENDING

If you enjoyed Pogoman GO!...

People who like Pogoman GO! also gave high ratings to these games:

Scary House Amulet!, by Ricardo Dague

Gotomomi, by Arno von Borries
Gotomomi central station is a place where many dreams and hopes meet. It draws in scores with its many possibilities. To most, it becomes a nightmare. Fortunately, I just needed to change trains there.

The Fortress of Fear, by Larry Horsfield
Average member rating: (1 rating)
Arriving at the vast Marienburg Fortress, headquarters of the Teutonic Knights, you find that that it has been captured by the mad sorceror-prince Wladyslaw. You volunteer to enter the fortress alone and find your way through it to a...

Pogoman GO! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

The following polls include votes for Pogoman GO!:

Misunderstood games by MathBrush
I'm interested in games where the reviewers 'just don't get it', where part of the game that is essential or hidden got overlooked. I'm thinking of Scary House Amulet as a prime example, where a solid parody game is passed off as poorly...

Silly Games by Charlie Marcou
I find that I enjoy the more silly interactive fiction rather than more serious interactive fiction. So that's what this poll is for.

Vivid games by Jeff Sonas
I'm looking for games that evoked strong feelings or strong mental images that stayed with you long after you finished the games.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Wladimir on 13 February 2017 at 2:07am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item