SpeedIF08.zip
Contains CHEF.GAM
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

You are a Chef!

by Dan Shiovitz profile

Humor
2000

IFID: TADS2-DE6FF56FD763F7A272240CA66FDFD11E
TUID: f2oyetp93zdpg4k4

Nominee, Best Writing - 2000 XYZZY Awards

One of SpeedIF's gems. Pure nonsense, but nonsense of a highly enthusiastic and infectious sort. Very small and easy.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Not funny, January 29, 2009
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
You are a Chef! is solidly within the "look, I have written a really bad game!" school of comedy. We can see this from the very first line: "HELLO CHEF!!!!!1". The string of exclamation marks ends with a '1' because the fictional 'n00b' author put his finger off of the Shift-key a little too early.

The main problem with this approach to comedy is that an intentionally bad game is still a bad game. To take badness and elevate it to another level is possible, but very hard; and I doubt that taking a straightforward approach to it is the way to go. See Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents "Detective" for a non-straightforward, and much more successful, example. There, a separate "commentary" track is used to make fun of the source material. In You are a Chef!, we are just playing the very bad game.

Nor is the sheer absurdity of the events enough to make the player chuckle. Absurdity is only funny if there is some method behind it. Random objects falling from the sky simply do not qualify as a good joke.

Perhaps the dreariness of the game is best demonstrated by this exchange:

Iron safe falls from the sky!
It lands on top of clown and breaks open!

>x safe
In the iron safe you see a MYSTERY INGREDIENT.

>take ingredient
Taken.

>x it
I cannot tell you! It is a mystery!!

If you thought that was funny, please play this game.

Zany, November 26, 2007
by Tracy Poff (Hamlin, West Virginia, United States)
Related reviews: Speed-IF 8
This is a pleasant and zany little piece of SpeedIF. It's positively nonsensical, but so enthusiastically so as to be quite amusing. There's no real puzzle--walking about typing 'take all' would be sufficient to solve it--but it's brief enough that it's oddness alone is enough to sustain it. How can one not love a game that opens with "HELLO CHEF!!!!!1 You must make FOOD! You have a list! First to food wins!"?

Very, very silly, November 26, 2007
by Kake (London, England)
Related reviews: Dan Shiovitz, ***, Speed IF
It's silly, it's fun, it has a monkey in it, and the goal is to make soup. What more could you want? (It's Speed IF, so don't expect it to be typo-free.) Effectively puzzleless.

If you enjoyed You are a Chef!...

People who like You are a Chef! also gave high ratings to these games:

Fine-Tuned, by Dennis Jerz
"Can Troy, the handsome daredevil autoist, live up to his "sterling" reputation? What secret threatens the career of the talented singer, Miss Melody Sweet? With the help of the mechanical genius Aloysius Pratt, can Troy and Melody...

The Shoe Dept., by Aquanet
What has two tongues but can't talk and follows us everywhere we go? Our lovely, leathery shoes, of course, the absolute last thing any person would ever expect to harbor a terrible secret. Fifteen-year-old Michael Cherry, for example,...

Broken Legs, by Sarah Morayati
A blurb? They expect you to write? You're Lottie Plum so you're not going into writing. You sing. And dance and act up a storm while everyone else can only manage a puddle. You belong at Bridger. No matter what it takes.

You are a Chef! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Funny Games by Ivanr
Okay, this is purely subjective, but since really successful comedy is so rare in IF I thought I'd collect what I consider to be the successes. Each of these is a game that made me grin. (To avoid killing any frogs, the commentary here...

Silly Games, that i've played. by Charlie Marcou

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

The following polls include votes for You are a Chef!:

Silly Games by Charlie Marcou
I find that I enjoy the more silly interactive fiction rather than more serious interactive fiction. So that's what this poll is for.

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Dave Chapeskie on 29 April 2009 at 6:03pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item