Inpatient: A Psychiatric Story

Inpatient: A Psychiatric Story

by Alana Zablocki

Mental Health System, Educational

Inpatient is a simulation of a mental health crisis and the patient experience of psychiatric hospitalization. It is an interactive novel of over 160,000 words that takes you through a 72 hour hospital stay. The characters in this game are fictional, but the events within are inspired by real-life experiences.

You play as Jessica Meredith Gonzales, a 32-year-old woman who experiences a crisis after the loss of a pet. As the guilt gives way to suicidal feelings, you approach the emergency room at Eastown General Hospital in an effort to survive the crisis. Throughout your hospital stay, you will make both friends and enemies as you navigate a microcosm of the outside world. There are nine major characters to interact with, each having their own story to tell. It is impossible to learn everything there is to know in one reading.

First Publication Date: June 16, 2017
License: Shareware
IFID: 53F0848F-52A5-46FB-B97C-FD47445BF288
TUID: dv9stkhto6ngyw5o

Premise seems to be overly concentrated/biased, July 19, 2017
I read some of the novel, and it felt somewhat intrusive in that I was being told how to feel rather than contextualizing the experience for myself—which immediately made me think that the arguments presented in the novel are one-sided and biased. The realities of going to the hospital are not pleasant. Often there is a negative connotation attached to the experience long before a patient enters the building, and no amount of care will change this feeling. From what I read, it felt like a concentrated dose of negative experiences which I don’t believe is reasonable nor representative of a single visit.

No system is perfect, but I feel that this portrayal is unfair to the Ontario health care system. People in this industry dedicate their lives to help patients because they believe in the work that they do. In reality, we should feel privileged for the access to services that are offered through OHIP and other social assistance programs—a luxury that our closest neighbouring country struggles to hold onto.

In summation, the premise of this work is focused on a first world concern in a fairly generous socialist system relative to other societies the world over. What is more, one person’s interpretation of a service environment is not representative of an entire system being broken or in crisis; take caution when absorbing media that advertise it as such.

Sincerely,

An active user of public sponsored mental health care services in Ontario
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

Hard to get into, July 4, 2017
by Khai_Six25 (USA)
Initially, the prose isn't very exciting. It's hard to get hooked into the game at first. I didn't really feel anything. The experience as described in this adventure and my experiences with similar situations are very different. The game does pick up, but still isn't enjoyable. Neither as a player nor as someone who has been in the situation presented.

A very long psych ward alt-game with Choice-of-Games style relationships, July 1, 2017
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game reminds me in length and quality of a hosted Choice of Games commercial game. It has similar amounts of text per choice, and has 9 different relationships you can work on.

The main difference between this and choice of games is that there are frequently just 2 choices, while CoG tends to have 3 or more choices.

However, the author did a good job at making the game interesting by not making it clear which, if any, option is the 'right' option. I think this game provided a very clear picture of what a psych ward might be like. I chose to ally with a friend with borderline personality disorder.

If you enjoyed Inpatient: A Psychiatric Story...

People who like Inpatient: A Psychiatric Story also gave high ratings to these games:

The Isolato Incident, by Alan DeNiro
"We need to save the kingdom! But...where is the kingdom? What are its bounds? Can history be distilled? Why do ghosts feign friendliness? We will make a quest of questions!" [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a magician's servant who gets trapped in your master's vault; you'll need to learn some of his tricks if you want to get out.

AlethiCorp, by Simon Christiansen
Do you have what it takes to be an Associate Information Management Consultant with one of the world's largest information management companies? Can you leverage synergies with the best to operationalize our global market traction? If...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by azablocki on 17 June 2017 at 4:14pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item