Playable in browser.
The Relief of Impact
A game about sleep paralysis.

The Relief of Impact

by Ghoulnoise

A game about sleep paralysis.

Things to Note

-this game contains descriptions of violence, use caution.
-this game contains flashing images and patterns, please be careful if you are sensitive to this.
-much of the game is based on the developer's experience with sleep paralysis.
-tested browsers: chrome, safari
-best played with headphones in a dark room
- fullscreen is best
- all of the artwork was drawn with a laptop trackpad

First Publication Date: September 3, 2017
IFID: 0AAFE126-FE8A-4CD9-887A-3431E5BE4B85
TUID: dad1rh27qej4hoe8

A media-heavy short terror story about sleep paralysis, March 16, 2018
This story uses media in unusually good ways. It has audio, graphics, animation and text effects.

The game is creepy on two levels. On the first level, it has overtly 'horror'-type text, almost over-the-top. On the second level, it serves to illustrate what something experiencing sleep paralysis could encounter, and I found that much more disturbing.

The story had a narrative twist that I found lessened my enjoyment of it as a game, but heightened my appreciation of it as a piece of art or a means of communicating thoughts. Because I think the artist intended it more as a story or art, I've considered it as such and given it 5 stars

Uses slow text, but in an appropriate way. I usually hate slow text, but it makes sense here. The whole piece is well-considered and designed as a whole.

looping kills it, guess that can be considered a bug and was no intended feature, April 22, 2018
by DAB
You just read/watch/listen and get to click a few mouse-over hilighted words.
Little interactivity but the theme of this also does not allow for much.
The sounds were reminiscent of Darkwood for me (which is not bad as they are scary and hence fitting).
The subject matter was the draw for me here.
Of course if you ever experienced something like it your experience is bound to be different.
So do not expect too much.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

Well-executed exploration of sleep paralysis, March 23, 2018
The game effectively uses sounds, images and fonts to create an unsettling atmosphere. I was kept on edge throughout, and was both disappointed and relieved that there wasn't a jumpscare at the end.

I think the transition to the ending could have been a little smoother, but I like the fact that the ending furthers the author's goal of representing sleep paralysis in its entirety. Very aptly titled.

If you enjoyed The Relief of Impact...

People who like The Relief of Impact also gave high ratings to these games:

Which Describes How You're Feeling, by Adam Parrish

Hadean Lands, by Andrew Plotkin
Marooned in an alien, airless wasteland -- your starship fractured -- your crewmates missing. Can an apprentice alchemist learn how to survive?

The Matter of the Monster, by Andrew Plotkin
You stagger up to its lair. Blue sand drags at your feet. Your Hands don't tremble well, much as you ready your new weapon. Your voice doesn't quaver (hardly at all) as you shout out the words you were taught. One, two! Dive and...

The Relief of Impact appears in the following Recommended Lists:

lucid dreaming or sleep paralysis by DAB
Please, add what you find/know to the corresponding poll. http://ifdb.tads.org/poll?id=ebdt8yrx99qgls80 These are not all recommended for play, stress here is the list part of "Recommended List"

The following polls include votes for The Relief of Impact:

lucid dreaming and/or sleep paralysis themed games by DAB
What it says on the tin. ^

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Multimedia of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by ghoulnoise on 15 March 2018 at 8:59pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item